Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in to get a scheduled maintenance and detailing today, and they told me I needed all 4 wheel bearings replaced at a cost of $800. I've owned the car for just over 3 years and have just over 35000 km (17000 miles). I told them to hold off, but I was wondering is anyone else has had similar problems?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
To check your wheel bearings.

1. Raise the vehicle until the tire is off the floor.
  2. NOTE: Make sure the wheel rotates freely and the brake pads are retracted sufficiently to allow movement of the tire and wheel assembly. Grasp each tire at the top and bottom and move the wheel inward and outward while lifting the weight of the tire off the wheel bearing.
  3. If the tire and wheel (hub) is loose on the wheel spindle or does not rotate freely, install a new front wheel hub as necessary.

·
Registered
188 Posts
To check your wheel bearings.

1. Raise the vehicle until the tire is off the floor.
  2. NOTE: Make sure the wheel rotates freely and the brake pads are retracted sufficiently to allow movement of the tire and wheel assembly. Grasp each tire at the top and bottom and move the wheel inward and outward while lifting the weight of the tire off the wheel bearing.
  3. If the tire and wheel (hub) is loose on the wheel spindle or does not rotate freely, install a new front wheel hub as necessary.
hell yeah stl, but thats for a front wheel bearing. isnt the wheel bearing inside the axle tube on the rears cause its a solid axle?:headscratch:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Something sounds fishy... right after your warranty expires...

I've got 94,000 miles on my 2006... no probs...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I simply don't buy that all four wheels would have the bearings go at once. You don't have enough miles on the car for even one wheel to go bad without some other problem, let alone all four. If the bearings go, based on my experience with my last car, you should hear a distinctive noise that changes as your speed changes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
?

I took my car in to get a scheduled maintenance and detailing today, and they told me I needed all 4 wheel bearings replaced at a cost of $800. I've owned the car for just over 3 years and have just over 35000 km (17000 miles). I told them to hold off, but I was wondering is anyone else has had similar problems?
You should maybe talk to the manager about his people trying to rip you off and tell him you'll never come back. They should at least provide some hard evidence as to why all 4 bearings need replacement. I don't think I've ever had to replace a rear bearing on any car I've owned. And some of the cars were 30 years old when I owned them...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would suspect everything this shop recommended for repair. 17,000 miles and all four corners need replacement? I rather doubt it. My SN95 has over 190,000 miles on it and never had a wheel bearing replaced. Once they open up the rear, they'll probably tell you that the axles need to be replaced as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes you have to pull the axles to replace the bearings.
yeah but how would they test that, letalone say or prove it needs replacement?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
yeah but how would they test that, letalone say or prove it needs replacement?
Without physically opening it up, you won't. With a bad bearing you'll usually hear a humming sound or metal on metal grinding or sometimes you'll get an ABS light (from a rear bearing).

·
Registered
889 Posts
There have been several of these posts in the last year. Someone takes their car in to the dealer for a routine maintenance and the dealer says they need new wheel bearings. I'm beginning to think there's a checklist at the dealerships that state when a vehicle reaches so many months or miles, sock the customer with new wheel bearings whether they need them or not. I've had 4 Ford Explorers that I've racked up anywhere from 150,000 to 250,000 miles on each one and I never needed to replace wheel bearings (Transmissions yes, wheel bearings no).

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had a wheel bearing go on my old E350.

It sounded like the wheel was going to FALL OFF at any second!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
At 35K miles they should have told you the air in the tires needs replacing. After dropping $800 for the bearings they should be able to do the air for $25/tire (don't forget the spare!)
A shop of this quality is hard to find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been getting that metal on metal sound coming from my wheel well. Drivers side I belive. Its only when I'm in a turn arround parking lots or sharp turns. Can the bearings themselves be replaced or do you have to replace the whole hub? Don't really see the need to swap out the whole hub if its just the bearing thats bad.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been getting that metal on metal sound coming from my wheel well. Drivers side I belive. Its only when I'm in a turn arround parking lots or sharp turns. Can the bearings themselves be replaced or do you have to replace the whole hub? Don't really see the need to swap out the whole hub if its just the bearing thats bad.

Are you sure it's not the brakes. That sounds more like it.

I had a wheel bearing go bad on a on a car once. It sounds more like a constant droning that get louder as speed increases.

There is no way all four wheel bearings would go out with so few miles, unless your car has been sitting in standing water that covered the hubs.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, you cant replace or service the bearings on the frt. they come sealed in the hubs which can be replaced

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no mistaking that bad bearing drone. Very distinct and gets worse with increased speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm pretty sure its not the brakes. It only does it when I turn. I swapped out the hub assembly from the side I thought it was coming from. Needless to say as I pulled out of the bay from the shop, I rounded the corner only to find out my lovely grinding noise is still there. I had the back seats down and noticed its actually coming more from the rear than the front like I thought. Not sure. Might possibly be something in the rear end. Differential maybe?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I'm pretty sure its not the brakes. It only does it when I turn. I swapped out the hub assembly from the side I thought it was coming from. Needless to say as I pulled out of the bay from the shop, I rounded the corner only to find out my lovely grinding noise is still there. I had the back seats down and noticed its actually coming more from the rear than the front like I thought. Not sure. Might possibly be something in the rear end. Differential maybe?
maybe a rear axle bearing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.