Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Ive had my Mustang for about a month now and am new to the Forums. I've done a little bit of work on my ride so far and plan to do more starting with coils. I've done a bit of research and found on american muscle the screamin demon is a hit with 5 stars and 22 reviews for $89. while the GMS is $154 and boasting that it adds 18+ horsepower, although it has no reviews. Is there a reason people are staying away from the GMS even though it appears it would add more power. The Screamin Demon doesnt mention how much horsepower it adds. Really appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums. this has been debated tons on here if you do some searches. i`m not buying any hp increases, maybe some improved performance. i would think the price has to do with it, as the demon and a set of live wires is $168....2005-2010 Mustang V6 Ignition

if your looking for a little hp, i would ditch that k&n and buy a jlt cai and a sct tuner from am with a race tune.

hp is very expensive. your not gonna get 20 hp for $150, jmo
a couple examples, a $550 tuner combo-15 hp, a $300 udp-5 hp, a $350 throttle body-5 hp, a $700 exhaust system 5-to maybe10 hp, $5000 supercharger 100hp :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
What he said. Horsepower ain't cheap. A lot of guys, including myself, are using that JLT/SCT Tuner combo and love it. If you're looking for power, that's definitely where you want to start.

As far as the 2 coils go, I have a Screamin Demon and upgraded wires and I can't say I noticed any changes in power. My mpg is slightly better, but that's about it. GMS is a reputable brand and a lot of guys on other forums like their stuff, but I'd bet a lot of money against their HP claims. Unless you're already making major power at the wheels with a blower or something, you're probably not going to notice much of a difference. But I'll be damned if those shiny ignition components don't look good under the hood :gringreen

·
Registered
344 Posts
As for the GMS coil and the 18 HP, if you go to their website and read their article you will see they claim +18 hp on a 1998 cobrajet supercharged engine that was already making 475 HP. They also admit that the gain is only at top RPM, they claim the stock coil can't keep up with the ignition at teh highter RPM. After reading that I sent an e-mail to their support team and asked what gain I could expect on my 4.0 V6 wiht my K&N CAI and tuner, plus true duals. They responded that I could expect an actual +10hp. Plus they said their coil comes with the wires for that $154 price. So, you take that at what you want, but I think frest plugs and wires with a properly working coil will give all you can get, which is very little.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, and the reason you don't see any writeups on this coil on AM is because it's a brand new item for them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
I bought it 100% stock. I like the K&N and got it used for $100. eBay has been my best friend haha. It has 99k on the motor, so introducing a supercharger at this stage probably woulnt be the best idea, and not to mention pricey. I feel the 7HP gain with the K&N and felt a wee bit more when I put on the flowmaster. I want to get the SVT livewire tuner, looks like it has a bit more to offer than the cheaper ones. I think I'll test fate and try the GMS Coil any suggestions on the best wires to go along with it? As well as spark plugs. What brands are the best for performance headers? I just read about the Throttle body bypass today and did it. The temperature did go down quite a bit I noticed. Are there performance fuel injectors available? AM doesn't have any for the 05-09. Also would aftermarket O2 sensors help? I'm all about trying to squeeze everybit of horsepower and torque I can get. I'm all about a fast launch and being thrown back in my seat!

·
Registered
469 Posts
im going back and fourth too on a coil pack. I had a mechanic tell me that our coils are good enough but if you need to replace it for any reasson then it may help out some. So if you have 99k on the motor then a coil pack wouldnt necessarily hurt you, but dont expect some major improvement. They claim to add power and performance but like they said, HP isnt cheap.

+1 for the JLT/SCT, i can tell you that it will give you that "throw back into your seat" feeling, plus imo, a tuner should be the beginning point for anyone planning to make modifications to their car because the people that spend hours dyno tuning cars can make the most out of any mod that you choose to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts