Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone knows anything about STS turbos? I called the local high performance shop where I live and they suggested I get their rear mounted twin turbo kit for my car. not mentioning price, purely information only...should I get a rear mounted twin turbo kit for my 2005 V6, and what engine parts would I have to change to handle the power. Also since I'd be rear mounting the turbos not in the engine compartment, I'd have room for a supercharge. I'm thinking that would get rid of turbo lag? any critisims or suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dont get it. Those rear mount kits are awefully and wont give you as much power as other ones. If you go with a turbo check out powerhouse. They have a great one. As far as a SC either an X charger or procharger would be great.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I agree with youngstang07. Don't buy a remote mount if you're going to put money into a F/I setup. More turbo lag, and the air intake is really close to the ground right? Kinda scary as far as sucking in water goes. . .

·
Registered
568 Posts
Also since I'd be rear mounting the turbos not in the engine compartment, I'd have room for a supercharge. I'm thinking that would get rid of turbo lag? any critisims or suggestions for me?
I believe (and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong) that it's a one or the other proposition: turbo or S/C, but not both. For one thing, unless you rigged up some elaborate valve system the two would constantly be fighting each other since the psi they would be putting out would rarely be the same at any moment.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I believe (and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong) that it's a one or the other proposition: turbo or S/C, but not both. For one thing, unless you rigged up some elaborate valve system the two would constantly be fighting each other since the psi they would be putting out would rarely be the same at any moment.
It is actually possible, but it is insanely expensive. The motor would have to be completely built up, and even then you would be asking for trouble. It's called compound boost if you look it up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@05 stang, I figured I'd do the remote mount, get a SC and then compound boost. Just seeing what everyone's opinions are. can anyone suggest a twin turbo kit for a 2005 V6 that isn't rear mounted then?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
@05 stang, I figured I'd do the remote mount, get a SC and then compound boost. Just seeing what everyone's opinions are. can anyone suggest a twin turbo kit for a 2005 V6 that isn't rear mounted then?
I wouldn't even think about doing it to a 4.0. You can blow the stock engine with just a single turbo and too much boost. Even with a 03-04 Cobra motor it would still cost over 20k and be a complete nightmare to tune. If you really want a turbo look at the Powerhouse turbo. It is capable of more power than the engine can handle unless you upgrade the internals and would be much cheaper and easier to deal with than a twin turbo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I had planned on the twin turbo and just buying a bunch of forged steel engine internals. Is that wrong?

·
Registered
568 Posts
It is actually possible, but it is insanely expensive. The motor would have to be completely built up, and even then you would be asking for trouble. It's called compound boost if you look it up
Yeah, funny enough, I was standing in line at the grocery store last night and saw the cover of a diesel engine magazine advertising a 4000HP quad-turbo V-16 :what::eek:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
well I had planned on the twin turbo and just buying a bunch of forged steel engine internals. Is that wrong?
No that isn't wrong, it is just really expensive and not cost effective. With that much money you would be better of going out and getting a crate engine and putting a big blower or turbo on that. Not to mention with that much power your tranny and rear end need to be replaced and you would have to beef up the suspension

Yeah, funny enough, I was standing in line at the grocery store last night and saw the cover of a diesel engine magazine advertising a 4000HP quad-turbo V-16 :what::eek:
That's not really compound boost as it is only turbo, but 4 turbos to a V16 is a lot of boost. Sounds like fun though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.