Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2006 Mustang V6. This past weekend my motor began making a tapping type sound. Brought the car to Ford to have the diagnose the issue (which I think all they did was say its making noise.. replace it...) so when I returned home with the car I started looking around. When I opened my Oil Cap I noticed this piece of plastic sitting on top of my timing chain/in my fill cap.

Doing some research I found that it belongs to the left timing chain cassette tensioner. Hoping to see if I can get a few questions that I can't really find answered.

Is the car an interference or non-interference motor? It doesn't appear that the chain has broken just lost tension (and timing?) due to this plastic piece failing. The car seems to run fine but will it being (I'm assuming..) out of time cause any possible valve damage.

Is it actually worth attempting to replace the left timing chain cassette and hope its the only damage or put another motor in..?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is an interference engine, don't run it until you decide. You will have to remove the engine as it also has one in the back. I ended up replacing the engine because it lost compression, ie bent a valve. I had a new timing chain kit installed on the replacement before installing the used engine. So now my 100k car has a 50k engine, with new parts. Hoping to get another 100k out of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts