Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am driving down the freeway and this Dodge Charger blows past me really good...he must have been going over 100, I was doing 70.

Anyway, there was too much traffic, so I just let it go, just continued driving 70. About 5 miles later I take the 210 south from the 5 freeway, and guess who is taking the same freeway.....the same Dodge. I have heard horror stories about the SRT8 425 hp 6.1 Hemi:what:, and at the time I wasn't sure if this was one of them. So I passed him and slowed down. I figured if he caught back up to me, he wanted to play. I armed the nitrous and waited. Well I saw him accelerate back up to me in my rear view mirror.....we went at it from 70 mph. I walked away from him real good, at least four to five car lengths.:happyhapp I was on N20 because I wasn't sure if this was the SRT8 or not, and I wasn't going to take any chances. I am sure he was stock, because there were no plates on the car. Turns out it was not an SRT8--it was a bronze colored 2006 Charger R/T with black Daytona decals on the rear quarters and it had the 350 hp 5.7 Hemi. I think it would have been a close race motor to motor though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
my friend just got an R/T, from a roll on the highway you have to wait a second for the displacement on demand to kick in. The autostick thing is kind of cool, but I'd rather have a manual. Until he learns how to drive it with autostick, I don't think my lightly modded '05 v6 would get beaten too badly by it. With UDP's and a 75 shot there's no doubt in my mind I could keep pace with HIM (in the hands of a more skilled driver it'd be close). That car weighs about 500lbs more than a GT and only has 50 more hp. I think stock for stock, you could take him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 'daytona' package had 375 hp, as well as race seats, chin spoiler, rear spoiler, and beefier breaks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you think that is great, then just wait for the next big thing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/bmartin9122/Miscellaneous/black_RT_challenger_front.jpg

The Challenger will be on a shortened LX platform (6 inches shorter than the 300, Magnum, & Charger). And it will have this motor, albeit, in limited numbers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/bmartin9122/Miscellaneous/hemi_392.jpg

That engine should be rated to make around 505hp - naturally aspirated.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Let the games begin!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
That Challenger does look sweet! Kinda retro looking like the new stangs. I'd bet it would sell pretty well, too. Kinda looks like the Fast and the Furious Charger. I'd sure like to see it made.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
yea that charger is pretty sweet. too bad i have blue oval blood.

·
Registered
65 Posts
that challenger is set to come out in 2010 and might to a convert to. now ford and dodge are doin' good on the new cars now chevy needs to steep it up or they'll just get left in the dust....... of a stang

·
Registered
23 Posts
Goliath said:
my friend just got an R/T, from a roll on the highway you have to wait a second for the displacement on demand to kick in.
Now, I know you have ridden in it, so you would know better than I. But I read in a mag (think it was R&T) that the DOD takes only one revolution of the cam to kick in... so it should be imperceptible. Is that not the case? They seemed to write quite a bit about that, trying to quell any fears that buyers may have with respect to DOD.

Deez

·
Registered
50 Posts
As an owner of a Magnum RT for over a year, I can tell you that power delivery of an MDS(multi-displacement system)-equipped V8 is inperceptible. However, the electronic transmission's program does not provide quick downshifts. This is probably the hesitation you experienced. I'm sure this was done in the interest of fuel savings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.