Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening everyone.
I’ve been a ghost looking on here for awhile, and to no avail, I haven’t found what I needed. So here it goes.
I was doing a transmission job on my 06 4.0L mustang, which has the t-5. My clutch was blown, and I decided that (200k miles in) I’d have the tranny rebuilt. Took weeks to get it back from the shop, and get parts in. About a month and a half after starting I finally started installing everything. All my transmission bolts fell out of the “mold” I made for them, so I could remember where they went, and I can’t find how they all went back in. I have them where I -think- they went, but can’t remember.
Has anyone on here done the job and remember?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I'm guessing that you are in Europe, English not your native language?

Transmission bellhousing to engine bolts should all be the same diameter but may have different lengths. Each bolt should engage the same number of threads, or turns. The depth of thread engagement should be approximately equal to the bolt diameter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I am state side, just from Missouri and not the best at typing sometimes.

Yes, the diameter is the same on the bolts but the length isn’t. I have a couple bolts that are longer, more that are not as long, then two ones maybe an inch long. I believe the transmission has been out before, as not every bolt-hole in the bell-housing had a bolt when I took it out.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Here's a picture of a T5 from a V8 with bolts installed loosely. (This is from a customer of American Muscle.) Ford Performance Mustang Modular Bellhousing Installation Kit M-7771-A (96-10 4.6L w/ Manual Transmission)

Yours should be similar. Longer bolts for the longer bosses. All should have the same thread engagement. The "lead" (tapered part of the bolt ahead of the thread) is there to make assembly at the factory easier. If you have missing bolts, figure out what length you need and but some Grade 8 bolts at the hardware store. Use blue Loctite on the threads.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Good luck and happy typing. :)

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel
1 - 4 of 4 Posts