Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm NEW here. I just picked up my metallic silver 2006 GT 5 speed with the new 'bullit' style 18" polished wheels. I have a couple of questions for the knowledgable masses on this page. On various pages I see mention of the 18" wheel 2006 has some 'specific' suspension mods over the 17" wheeled GT of 2005. What are these mods? I can't find any info at all. Also, does the 2006 model have the intake side ceramic filter/emission insert like the 2005?

Thanks for any info in advance. Thanks also for all the info I've already found lurking and searching this site. I think I need a JLT and a tune kit pretty soon.

Tilt

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not sure, but if I recall they have a stiffer spring rate and tuned shocks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Congrats on your new ride!

I've noticed that also about the suspension mods.I wish they were more specific.Even the wheel sizes...they only mention the diameter and fail to mention the wheel width or backspacing.
Does anyone know when they will come out with the new Ford Racing Parts catalog?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have also heard the springs are different. My 06 feels much stiffer and has much less body roll than the 05 I test drove before ordering my 06. I suspected they put stiffer springs on there. My salesman suggested I go 18"s when I was ordering, as he said the suspension was tuned a little tighter (he was right). I didn't know about the shocks. Too bad Ford doesn't supply this info to the masses.

Darth...I think the 18" wheels are 8.5" wide ( I read this somewhere). There looks to be room to add wider rubber than the stock tires.

Tilt

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just picked up my 2006 Roush Stage 1. This vehicle has 18" X 10" rims. there is plenty of room for wheels this wide.

·
Registered
265 Posts
To answer the first guys second quesion...... No ceramic pre filter cat thingy ( not sure what it is really called). As for the suspension, I wish someone had some answers. I am ordering an 06 at the first of theyear and would like to know if buying the 18's gets you better struts and shocks, otherwise I will buy some aftermarket ones more to my liking.

I have scoured the webistes and can find NOTHING.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Polished 18

IN THE 2006 CUSTOM WHELLS BOOK

THE BUILLTS ARE 18X 8.5 THEY ARE THE SAME ONE YOU HAVE
:tongue

·
Registered
191 Posts
I HAVE 18x9'S WITH 24MM OFFSET FR5 ANTHRICITE WHEELS AND 27540ZR18'S WITH THE IEBACH PROKIT AND THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM UNDER IT AND IN THE WHEEL WELLS TO GO WIDER ON THE WHEELS BUT IT LOOKS KICKAZ LIKE IT IS....AND YOUR RIGHT THE STOCK SPRINGS WERE STIFFER ON THE 06'...IV'E DRIVEN THEM BOTH...:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was told by the guy at Ford Tech Hotline that there are virtually no suspension differences when you order 18" wheels/tires. Same spring rates and shock valving. Stock spring rates are 136 Lb Front and 142 LB Rear. If you order the FRPP Handling Pack, you get 228 LB Front and 199 LB Rears. He told me they are constant rate spring, not variable rate as they state on the internet. Whatever!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts