Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I owned a 2006 GT for the last year. All was well until I hit a curb really bad causing a slightly bent rear axle. All kinds of noise came as a result which I have been able to identify. Now, I have a new noise and I’m not sure if it had to do with hitting the curb but I’m not able to find the source. The new noise sounds like when opening a door on a rusty old car but it comes from underneath and sometimes it sounds like coming from the front, other times from the rear. The noise is easy to duplicate at slow speeds while turning the wheel like pulling into a parking spot or a driveway. My perception is that the noise happens while the car shifts weight i.e. from center to either side then stops and again from either side back to center. It does not happen at normal driving above 15 to 20 MPH. Also, it does not happen if stationary or parked, and me pushing the car up and down as hard as I can. It does not matter if the car is hot or cold. Sometimes it will make the noise if shifting from parking to reverse or from parking to drive if the car is revving higher than normal idling (automatic transmission) though I think this happens because the weight of the car shifts from front to back and so on. As far as suspension is concern, last summer I had the front control arms, struts and shocks replace with new OEM parts. I also had a rear break job replacing the rotors and pads with new OEM parts last September. Over all, the car drives fast and feels great when driving on a bumpy road, but this noise if driving me crazy. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would start with checking the sway bar bushings. Sounds like that to me. Possibly ball joints but I really think it is sway bar. Id get under it and push up and pull down on the sway bar close to the bushing and see if it moves. It should not give at all really.
Check back and let me know how that goes man

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry didn't think to mention this but it could be motor mounts. They are easy to check. Have a buddy watch the engine while you put the car in drive with your foot on the brake really hard give it some gas to about 1500 rpms or so and have him look for the engine jerking up or down. Do the same for reverse. Or you can have your buddy do it whole you watch for yourself if you trust em enough. Haha

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Does the noise go away after driving in rain,like some kind bushing .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. As an update, I have not been able to get under car and perform the suggested test and I have not been able to drive in rainy conditions. Now the noise is getting worse and easier to duplicate like while the car is on and in parking and slightly moving the wheel left to right. Also, now I know for sure that is coming from front passenger side and most noticeable inside the wheel well closer to the lower control arm (hard to say with all the noise), but by touch I can feel the grates vibration on the lower control arm as compare with other parts like sway bar/Link, strut and spring. Also, I notice that the noise goes away when pulling up on the wheel well as hard as I can and comes back as I let go of the wheel well. As a reminder, I had the lower control arm replaced last summer by local Ford dealer (thought there was no noise prior to replace). I’m leaning towards a bad bushing on the lower control arm (not 100% sure still) but I would expect that Ford would change the busing at the same time replacing the arm, and if so, I would not expect the bushing to go bad after 6 months. What do you think? Again I will appreciate any info. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So finally got the car back to Ford and turned out that both lower control arms were making noise thought the passenger side was the loudest. Since these were replaced about 6 month ago, Ford replaced both at no charge. All is quite again. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts