Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I removed my old stereo (with the battery disconnected) my windows just stopped working. The short drop still works on both windows, but they will not go up or down. I have disconnected and reconnected the battery, swapped out EVERY fuse, swapped out the relay, and even the master control switch. The AUTO on the switches don't even light up any more.

I had this problem before and all I had to do was switch out a fuse and it was fine.

I have gone to a dozen auto parts stores (asking guys with mustangs), a half dozen mechanics, and a Ford dealership and they all suggest what I've already done. Any ideas? Could it be something with the wiring between the switch and the motor? Would that cause both windows to quit working simultaneously?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fuse 2.6...bottom row of sjb. It's a 5 amp fuse, towards the right of the row....and next to a 10amp fuse (to it's right), and next to a no fuse hole (to it's left).

2.6 is for accessory delay feeds.
Accessory delay relay is also in the sjb...square grey plastic relay.

And power TO this relay comes from underhood fuse 44 (10 amp) in the large underhood fuse box (called bussed electrical center or BEC).

Notes from my electrical manual: With this fuse removed, radio won't work (as this is also for radio start), power windows won't work from either side, but windows will still drop 1/4" and dome lamps will work.

At the radio end of this circuit, wire would be grey with a yellow tracer.

There are other details, other colored wires if you need more info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuse 2.6...bottom row of sjb. It's a 5 amp fuse, towards the right of the row....and next to a 10amp fuse (to it's right), and next to a no fuse hole (to it's left).

2.6 is for accessory delay feeds.
Accessory delay relay is also in the sjb...square grey plastic relay.

And power TO this relay comes from underhood fuse 44 (10 amp) in the large underhood fuse box (called bussed electrical center or BEC).

Notes from my electrical manual: With this fuse removed, radio won't work (as this is also for radio start), power windows won't work from either side, but windows will still drop 1/4" and dome lamps will work.

At the radio end of this circuit, wire would be grey with a yellow tracer.

There are other details, other colored wires if you need more info.
Thank you for that info. No one else even mentioned checking that fuse. I checked and it was indeed blown. However, when I changed it and turned the engine to check the windows, the fuse blew instantaneously. I tried with 2 different fuses too. The guys at O'Reilly's think that there is an exposed wire somewhere.

Could there be an exposed wire behind the stereo? The stereo isn't hooked up since I can't even get the windows working at this point and I don't have $$$ to get my whole car rewired.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes, very likely there is a short to ground from that wire I mentioned. I'd certainly look there lst....as that's evidently the last part of the car which was worked on.

If you find no 'exposed' wire/short in that wire, we can look further at other wires within that circuit...but best to look at all the radio connectors lst, especially grey with yellow tracer wire.

All the other wires in that circuit, fuse 2.6, are for windows and the little lights on windows/door lock switches...things you've not messed with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you. I will check all the stereo wires tomorrow and see what I find.

EDIT: After taking everything apart and pulling the stereo the only wire that wasn't connected to anything was solid green. I put electrical tape on it to see what would happen and after replacing the 2.6 fuse, THE WINDOWS ARE WORKING AGAIN!! I know its not a permanent solution, but at least I can save a bunch on gas to put towards getting the car rewired. After looking at what all was messed with to where I couldn't even find the gray/yellow wire, I don't want to risk messing anything up worse than it already is. Thank you again for all the help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts