Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 GT Running issues - The saga continues

1197 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  pimp_n_stang
Hi.

To summarize, I was suffering with an uneven idle on my 2006 GT when I turned on the AC so I very carefully cleaned the MAF & throttle body with CRC products.

After reassembling everything when I started the engine it shot up to about 3000rpm & then hung at whatever RPM I changed gear at (it is a 5-speed).

I have disconnected the battery overnight to try & 're-set' the engine management system.

Now when started it revs to 2000-2200 rpm (which seem a bit high for a cold engine) & then slowly falls to about 1000 rpm (takes about 20 seconds).

The revs seem to hang a bit when changing gear & it takes longer for the revs to fall back down when stopped in neutral (dropping initially to 1000 rpm & then down to about 750).
I have a drop in K&N air filter, but other than that the car is stock.

Previously (before cleaning the MAF & TB) when starting revs would jump to 1500 & fall back quickly. Also revs would fall quickly between gear changes, & the rev counter would drop quickly when the engine was turned off.

My gut feeling is that something isn't right after cleaning the MAF & TB, but maybe everything is OK & I'm just not used to how the car is supposed to act.

Have taken the vehicle to a local dealer for a reflash (made no difference, if anything worse). Took it back for a detailed investigation & was told everything was OK, although TB was slow to react (but not enough for replacement). Also told to replace K&N drop in air filter with a paper element.

Fed up with being charged an arm & leg to be told that everthing is OK, when it isn't.

Thinking about replacing the TB, although this is probably another expensive waste of time & money.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong & how to fix it?

Thanks!
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Hi.

To summarize, I was suffering with an uneven idle on my 2006 GT when I turned on the AC so I very carefully cleaned the MAF & throttle body with CRC products.

After reassembling everything when I started the engine it shot up to about 3000rpm & then hung at whatever RPM I changed gear at (it is a 5-speed).

I have disconnected the battery overnight to try & 're-set' the engine management system.

Now when started it revs to 2000-2200 rpm (which seem a bit high for a cold engine) & then slowly falls to about 1000 rpm (takes about 20 seconds).

The revs seem to hang a bit when changing gear & it takes longer for the revs to fall back down when stopped in neutral (dropping initially to 1000 rpm & then down to about 750).
I have a drop in K&N air filter, but other than that the car is stock.

Previously (before cleaning the MAF & TB) when starting revs would jump to 1500 & fall back quickly. Also revs would fall quickly between gear changes, & the rev counter would drop quickly when the engine was turned off.

My gut feeling is that something isn't right after cleaning the MAF & TB, but maybe everything is OK & I'm just not used to how the car is supposed to act.

Have taken the vehicle to a local dealer for a reflash (made no difference, if anything worse). Took it back for a detailed investigation & was told everything was OK, although TB was slow to react (but not enough for replacement). Also told to replace K&N drop in air filter with a paper element.

Fed up with being charged an arm & leg to be told that everthing is OK, when it isn't.

Thinking about replacing the TB, although this is probably another expensive waste of time & money.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong & how to fix it?

Thanks!
Thoroughly cleaning the edges and pivot points of the TB blades has worked for others who had engine idle problems.
Also, did you disassemble the TB, or just remove it from the intake? If the former, then it may not have been properly reassembled.
See less See more
I think the TB might be the next choice.
Hello, I have exactament the same problem that you, I change TPS and motor of the Throttle, do not solve anything.
Granada, I am doing a heap of tests, To seeing if we meet on it, I have earring, try with the filter of original air. I do not have him, the car already came with the K&N, Have you the original air filter?, can you install ?
Mine does the high RPM hang between shifts as well. I asked my buddy & he says the car has done that since it came off the lot. He hated it & so do I.
New MAF & throttle body seems to have cured the hanging revs between gear shifts.

Idle still isn't right - drops to about 1000 rpm before dropping slowly to 750 rpm.

Start rpm is still high (2000 rpm)
Same problem with my car, I thought it was because of the turbocharger. Seems Ford may have a glitch with the throttle by wire system? Between my "grabby" Spec III clutch (Piece of S-hit btw, wouldn't recommend it to anyone) turbo charger, 4:10 gear and this issue, the car is a pain in the A-ss to get moving from a dead stop. I'm used to it, but the previous owner had to start up in second gear it was so bad..
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.