Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did a few pulls on the dyno with my '06 GT, she put down 276 rwhp and 296 tq. I have a few mods- Roush Off Road Exhaust, Ford Racing shorty headers, and a Roush CAI (stock tune). I feel like these numbers are a little low? Any suggestions on how to get these numbers up? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I just ran across the dyno sheet on my '05' and it was 260hp/278 ft-lbs, that was just with Flowmasters and a tune to run on 89 octane, and a CAI. Results can vary so much that really don't worry about it. Should have made a base line pull before all the changes, that's the benefit of a dyno.
Dave

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your readings are spot on with those mods. The 4.6 doesn't take exhaust mods or tunes as well as the 5.0. Those are actually pretty good numbers. I had an 05 GT. Nice mods btw!

·
Super Moderator
40,046 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your post for a better response.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Recently did a few pulls on the dyno with my '06 GT, she put down 276 rwhp and 296 tq. I have a few mods- Roush Off Road Exhaust, Ford Racing shorty headers, and a Roush CAI (stock tune). I feel like these numbers are a little low? Any suggestions on how to get these numbers up? Thanks!
The problem is the stock tune. Your mods have increased airflow but you haven't added fuel so the engine's probably running too lean. A dyno tune will make a big difference.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not enough information to know. Depends on transmission type (auto or manual), octane of gas used, use of stock PCM calibration or aftermarket tune, elevation and atmospheric conditions, type of dyno, etc.
You don't drive on the dyno, so don't worry about numbers.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
The problem is the stock tune. Your mods have increased airflow but you haven't added fuel so the engine's probably running too lean. A dyno tune will make a big difference.
A dyno tune might help, but not for that reason. The ECU will already / automatically add the right amount of fuel based on the amount of air that is coming in, using the readings that it gets from the Mass Air Flow sensor in the intake. That is basically how electronic fuel injection works. The only reason a tune is required for some aftermarket intakes is that the MAF tube is bigger than stock, so that makes the MAF readings wrong unless it is recalibrated (aka "tuned").

Comparing dyno numbers is tough because there are so many variables involved ; I would try not to get too hung up on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those numbers are decent for the mods u have. I would get a dyno tune for sure if I was u. Caned tunes from/email tunes don't really put out the full potential of your car. Add a blower and those numbers will look a lot better.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A dyno tune might help, but not for that reason. The ECU will already / automatically add the right amount of fuel based on the amount of air that is coming in, using the readings that it gets from the Mass Air Flow sensor in the intake. That is basically how electronic fuel injection works. The only reason a tune is required for some aftermarket intakes is that the MAF tube is bigger than stock, so that makes the MAF readings wrong unless it is recalibrated (aka "tuned").
Correct but the stock tune also has a very conservative timing curve to allow the engine to run on 87 octane fuel. A more aggressive timing curve for 91 or 93 octane fuel can make quite a difference.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Add a supercharger. Problem solved.:)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts