Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Hopefully I can get some much needed help. These past 3 weeks I have been having issues with my GT. It first started as I was driving down a highway and the RPMs started majorly surging. It started out going from about 2k-4k then gradually went down as I pulled over. I checked everything out and it seemed to return back to normal idle. The days after that, it began to surge while idling and progressively became worse. I took apart and cleaned the throttle body and MAF thinking that would help, but no luck. After that we let it idle and it still surged while idling. I gave it some gas and it threw up the wrench and completely died. I tried replacing the TPS and that seemed to help with the surging while idling. But it still dies and the wrench light comes up when I give it gas. It is also giving me the codes P2111 and P2104. Any insight on this would be much appreciated. I am at my wits end and miss driving my baby very much. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm thinking a bad throttle body stepper motor. Not sure how to test for it though.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I just tested the voltage to the TPS. It is reading 5.00. If I am not mistaken it is supposed to read around 1.20. what could cause this?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Since you've already replaced the TPS, the most likely cause is a faulty throttle actuator.

P2111 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle

I suggest you first try to remove it from the throttle body, check that there's nothing missing or broken, and clean it thoroughly. If that doesn't help, you'll need a new replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:
The throttle body motor has been replaced. The TPS voltage seems to be correct now. I turned on the car and revved it after it was warm and the throttle got stuck and stayed at 3k RPM. I turned it off and checked the spring and it seems to be working correctly with the butterflies. Thoughts??????

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Do the butterflies return to their normal closed position?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Make sure the pivot points for the TB butterflies are thoroughly cleaned.

If they're ok, reset the KAM (keep alive memory) by doing the following:
- Remove the positive battery cable, and connect a jumper from the end of the positive battery cable to ground for 10 seconds, and reconnect the positive battery cable.
- Start the engine, let it idle for a couple minutes with everything turned off, put the tranny in park/neutral, turn on the a/c for a few minutes, and then put the tranny in gear for a few minutes if you have an auto tranny.
- Drive the vehicle normally.
It usually takes 50-100 miles for the PCM to relearn the idle strategy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ended up taking it to a local shop. They tried everything with every different combination and no luck. They tried a OEM throttle body instead of my 62mm TB that I had on and now it runs perfect. Seems weird but I am just glad to have my car back.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry to hear of the trouble....can I ask what brand of aftermarket TB you were running?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts