Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 Mustang 4.10 gear upgrade and SCT Tune

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sillyrabbit0420 
#1 ·
I have been reading these threads and come across many different views. I have 06 Mustang GT with the Roush CAI. I recently got a SCT SF3 and let my friend make some changes to my tune. The car feels a little more responsive but not a lot. He advised me to leave it on 87 because the change to 91 or 93 wouldn't make a large enough difference to justify the cost. I can't help but wonder if it really only effects how clean the engine runs or if it would make the car feel much different. That being said. I also bought the 4.10 Ford Racing Gears and Motive 8.8IK install kit which was really the reason for the tuner. He feels fairly confident he could do the install (it would be his first time doing it). He is typically one of the lead techs at Firestone or Sears. Just thought I'd get some opinions on this. The Ford dealership nearby said it would cost $450 roughly for just the labor of installing the gears not to mention whatever else may be done. My friend says he can do it for near $100 for the tools to install the gears. I'm pretty sure though if I get it done through Ford it's probably going to be someone with similar experience with my past experiences from different dealerships.

#2 ·
Find yourself a reputable performance shop, someone who does this type of thing all the time. Then take it from there. As far as the 87 octane tune, ditch it for at least the 91 octane. I would never run skunk piss in my Mustang any one of them nothing but 93 octane Shell goes in their tanks. You won't see a big difference in the tune, because it's just a canned tune custom made from another Mustang with the same computer code, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

#3 ·
Find yourself a reputable performance shop, someone who does this type of thing all the time. Then take it from there. As far as the 87 octane tune, ditch it for at least the 91 octane. I would never run skunk piss in my Mustang any one of them nothing but 93 octane Shell goes in their tanks. You won't see a big difference in the tune, because it's just a canned tune custom made from another Mustang with the same computer code, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
LOL...skunk piss...
I dunno what to tell you about the install. I'd never done a rear end when I did my first one, and it came out fine and saved me a bunch of money.

But honestly, if you want assurance it's done right the first time, then do what the previous guy mentioned and get a dyno tune while you're at it if you're worried about the tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.