Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the mods are about to begin, and I am lining them up. CAI, and FR 4.10's are a given, as well as the engine and tranny tune. But I need input on the best after axle exhaust system. Power gain is the priority, cool sound is second. I hear flowmaster uses plates that restrict power so I will probably avoid them.

With power being the first priority, which gives the best gain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I got rid of my flowmasters and installed magnaflows; straight through mufflers give more power. Felt the difference as soon as I got them on the car!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Phoenix-- You need to start posting these questions in the 2005+ talk and tech sections. The 4.6 section is primarily for the 96-04 GTs.

With that said, you aren't going to gain more that 2-3 rwhp from an axleback exhaust. The only difference is really getting the sound you're looking for. The only way to gain a substantial amount of power is with a complete manifold-back system of LT headers, midpipe and axleback. Then you'd could gain 20-25 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I got rid of my flowmasters and installed magnaflows; straight through mufflers give more power. Felt the difference as soon as I got them on the car!

+1 sounds much cleaner imo

·
Registered
617 Posts
You dont buy an axle back for performance, unless your blown or turbod. You buy it for sound!!!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
As an example of straight-through pipes...

http://media.putfile.com/Straight-pipes-135

I used to have JBA axle-backs and they looked cool and sounded pretty ok, but the muffler delete pipes sound unbelieveable!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I haven't been on a dyno but, after I put the O/R H and mufflers on I really noticed a seat of the pants gain, expecially in the mid to upper RPM range.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As an example of straight-through pipes...

http://media.putfile.com/Straight-pipes-135

I used to have JBA axle-backs and they looked cool and sounded pretty ok, but the muffler delete pipes sound unbelieveable!
LOL.......the thought occured to me while wacthing that video that JetBlack was going to run over his cam. :nono:

Got a nice sound to it JetBlack. Well done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here is a link to a video showing a Mustang in action with Kooks LT's w/hi-flow cats, x-pipe & Corsa Exhaust. This isn't my car, but belongs to someone I know. The car dyno'd 290 rwhp with this set-up & no tune ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFzs-NiVgqE

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Here is a link to a video showing a Mustang in action with Kooks LT's w/hi-flow cats, x-pipe & Corsa Exhaust. This isn't my car, but belongs to someone I know. The car dyno'd 290 rwhp with this set-up & no tune ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFzs-NiVgqE
And it would have been even higher with a tune. I'm surprised it ran very well at all without the tune.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree it is mostly for sound, but the guys that did my work can show 4-5 RWHP with the dyno for a few different brands, and claim improved response in key parts of the power band. Keep in mind these guys are mustang club members, great mechanics, and mod tons of mustangs, they know what they are talking about. Now, that isn't much power, but I'll take it. People change their pulleys for not much more than that, but I am not going to take any power from my ac compressor, not where I live.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I agree it is mostly for sound, but the guys that did my work can show 4-5 RWHP with the dyno for a few different brands, and claim improved response in key parts of the power band. Keep in mind these guys are mustang club members, great mechanics, and mod tons of mustangs, they know what they are talking about. Now, that isn't much power, but I'll take it. People change their pulleys for not much more than that, but I am not going to take any power from my ac compressor, not where I live.
They're good for a few hp. SLP claims the LMs are good for 7. I guess as long as you don't lose anything, who cares :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts