Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 Mustang Check Charging System Light

21K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  earlyriser 
#1 ·
So I have been having alot of trouble with my 06 Mustang V6 check charging system light coming on. recently I have noticed that when I start my car there is no light and after about 9 or 10 mins of driving the light comes on. I have read that the shaker 500 radio could be causing the problem but am not quite sure. Of anyone could help or give advice, would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any aftermarket parts on and have also noticed that when the check charging system light is on that if I turn on the headights the battery gauge goes down the longer the lights are on, suspecting the alternator as I just replaced the battery 4 months ago.

#8 ·
check charging system light

After days of research on this subject with no real answer and testing and replacing a 3 yr old battery (still showed good @12.6 volts), running a alternator test (14.5 volts @2500 rpm's) the system light and the battery light still came on. The last straw was when the car died completely and I couldn't keep it running after jumping the battery with another car. To that end, I realized the battery is only used to start the car and the alternator runs the car afterwards. To really test the alternator after the car is running, remove the negative lead from the battery (old school test) and if the car dies the alternator is at fault. To verify I brought the alternator to Advance auto parts for testing and sure enough it failed. I then put in a new alternator and all indicator lights disappeared and the car is running fine. I hope this helps all those having a similar problem, it may not be the answer for all, but should help some.

Earlyriser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.