Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my car, everytime it rained it always smelled like moisture in the car. I got tired of looking for water in the car with no luck. Until yesterday when I went into the spare tire well (where i keep terry cloths for cleaning the tires and stuff) and found one terry cloth that was soaked. I thought maybe from pressure washing the car so I just shrugged it off. Then this morning when I went into the trunk to get my laptop and I look up and there is really heavy condensation on the inside of the trunk lid!!!

Any ideas???

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same problem. After it rains my trunk gets really damp and there is a good amount of water in the spare tire space. All the weather stripping is good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine too, checked all the weatherstrip for flat or dry spots and its all good.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Is it possible the water is getting in around the bolts holding the wing to the trunk lid? If they're not properly sealed, I could see how water could get in there.
Also, like a house, the source of the leak doesn't have to be near where you're finding it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after reading the last reply, I went outside to check the spoiler screws....I'm freaking speechless and w/o an explanation. Well that is unless my sub somehow managed to shake them out...is that even possible??? anyone know the size of screw that goes there????

I was thinking maybe some new bolts with silicone and rubber washers...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
after reading the last reply, I went outside to check the spoiler screws....I'm freaking speechless and w/o an explanation. Well that is unless my sub somehow managed to shake them out...is that even possible??? anyone know the size of screw that goes there????

I was thinking maybe some new bolts with silicone and rubber washers...
Take the spoiler off and circle the holes with clear silicone and then reinstall. The bolts are nowhere to be found in the trunk??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna go to home depot after work and try to find some replacement screws + rubber washers + silicone. I'm still amazed that the screws are missing all together. I called ford and the guy thought I was crazy, tried to sell me the whole spoiler.

(you know I just noticed that this is in the Gt tech forum,can someone move it to the main 2005+ forum. )

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I'm gonna go to home depot after work and try to find some replacement screws + rubber washers + silicone. I'm still amazed that the screws are missing all together. I called ford and the guy thought I was crazy, tried to sell me the whole spoiler.

(you know I just noticed that this is in the Gt tech forum,can someone move it to the main 2005+ forum. )
Actually I just moved it to tech since it's dealing with a problem you're experiencing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh.... :hihi::hihi:

I thought I was going crazy from too much caffeine and put it in the wrong forum.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
oh.... :hihi::hihi:

I thought I was going crazy from too much caffeine and put it in the wrong forum.
Usually I'll put in a redirect so people don't get confused. Since it was just going from talk to tech, I didn't bother on this one.

You might want to get silicone washers too.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have the same problem. After it rains my trunk gets really damp and there is a good amount of water in the spare tire space. All the weather stripping is good.
If your car is not leaking around the spoiler bolts, then the rear window may not be properly sealed. Spray the rear window, and look for water dripping on the trunk's carpet. If it's wet, then either reseal the rear window with silicone, or have the dealer do it if the car is under warranty.

If there's no water leaking in after spraying the rear window and the water in the spare tire well has dirt in it, then remove the driver's side fiber cover in the trunk, and check for water and dirt in the trough in that area. If it's also there, then dry out the trough, jack up the driver's side rear, remove the tire, and spray the area under the car where the gas fill tube passes thru the quarter panel. If the trough refills with water, then it's probably leaking in thru a gap in the sealant around the gas fill tube where it passes thru the quarter panel. The tire sprays water from wet roads onto that area(thus the dirt). Either reseal this area(Duct seal worked great on my car), or have the dealer do it under warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Poor Quality Caulk

I found the culprit for the leak in my trunk and I am sure many more people have the same problem. Check the top metal seam in the run off channel behind the top of the tailights. When water runs off the rear window, it runs into the channel and behind the rear bumper to the ground. The caulking Ford used is cracking and allowing water to run into the trunk! I can't believe the car is only 3 years old and the caulking is rotting away. Best solution is to remove all the caulk from the seam and re-seal with some silicone. Trunk is nice and dry now :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Water leaks suck!

Having them and fixing them. My 05 had a little leak at the right quarter window under direct water stream or high pressure wash, a little silicone fixed it. I've seen water leaks from different sources, but usually its from a missed seam sealer. The screw holding the spoiler in place are probably metric if there is a nutsert in the spoiler. Crawling inside the trunk with flashlight and having someone spray the outside with water is usually the only way to find the source. Also start low on the vehicle and work the water up higher, sometimes the leak is big enough to be seen witthout a light as daylight can be seen in gaps at times when the trunk is closed. If your car is stillunder the bumper to bumper warranty take it in to the dealer...we need work!:shigrin

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I found the culprit for the leak in my trunk and I am sure many more people have the same problem. Check the top metal seam in the run off channel behind the top of the tailights. When water runs off the rear window, it runs into the channel and behind the rear bumper to the ground. The caulking Ford used is cracking and allowing water to run into the trunk! I can't believe the car is only 3 years old and the caulking is rotting away. Best solution is to remove all the caulk from the seam and re-seal with some silicone. Trunk is nice and dry now :)
Good detective work!
BTW, cracking sealant is also causing water leaks in the passenger compartment, mostly in the area near the passenger's side kick panel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.