Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate advice in advance ....my ignition switch had a problem allowing me to start. so i left it at the house returned and jiggled switch and was able to start it up. Haven't had problem again ...just recently drove car to town and my heating fan speed switch would not come on turn air condition on and fan doesn't work any clues ..Thanks

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would check the switch first to make sure that the plug hasn't worked itself loose. They fit firmly, so I doubt that this is the issue. Next, check fuse #2 in the passenger compartment for the air conditioning blower. Also, check your manual to see what fuses and relays are connected to the air conditioning/heating blower. If they are bad, replace them. If not, it's time to visit a shop you trust for a diagnose. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check the switch first to make sure that the plug hasn't worked itself loose. They fit firmly, so I doubt that this is the issue. Next, check fuse #2 in the passenger compartment for the air conditioning blower. Also, check your manual to see what fuses and relays are connected to the air conditioning/heating blower. If they are bad, replace them. If not, it's time to visit a shop you trust for a diagnose. Good luck.
Thanks , will have to Google it ,don't have manual not for sure where to look not mechanically incline.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Appreciate advice in advance ....my ignition switch had a problem allowing me to start. so i left it at the house returned and jiggled switch and was able to start it up. Haven't had problem again ...just recently drove car to town and my heating fan speed switch would not come on turn air condition on and fan doesn't work any clues ..Thanks
Check if you've had any water leaks into the front passenger footwell. The SJB could have been contaminated with water causing corrosion of the terminals. It's probably THE commonest cause of electrical problems in these cars, especially if you have more than one concurrently.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Best thing is to get a voltmeter and start testing circuits. The ignition switch triggers a relay in the main fuse panel, and that relay turns on about 1/2 of the fuse panel. Find that relay- it will have a wiring diagram printed on it, like this:

Test the ignition switch on the 85-86 circuit by probing the contacts in the panel.

Test the relay on the bench by applying 12 volts across 85-86 and check for resistance across 30-87. If not zero, replace the relay.

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel
1 - 7 of 7 Posts