Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to scrap the stock radio and speakers and go with an Alpine head unit and Infinity speakers. The sound dosen't even compare with the stock unit. It will accept an aux input such as a portable device and an Ipod. I routed the aux/Ipod cables under and in the arm rest through the removable trap door. :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And it looks nice too Pete! How long did it take you start to finish?
Just a couple of hours once I got the proper cable harness. :D
Actually the hardest part was getting the trim put back. :so

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
how much weight did it save?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Thats a great looking dash kit, where'd you get it? Mine looks like a 5 year old installed it and rigged it up to fit... All I can say is that it wasn't ME who installed it, although if i'd have known at the time, I would have done it myself.

What model of Alpine is that? I've got the CDA-9856; CD-r/w, MP3/WMA, iPod, HD radio, Satellite radio ready. Good stuff. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a great looking dash kit, where'd you get it? Mine looks like a 5 year old installed it and rigged it up to fit... All I can say is that it wasn't ME who installed it, although if i'd have known at the time, I would have done it myself.

What model of Alpine is that? I've got the CDA-9856; CD-r/w, MP3/WMA, iPod, HD radio, Satellite radio ready. Good stuff. :bigthumbsup
Thanks, I got it at hookedontronics, got a 5% discount because I bought the speakers there. It is a CDA-9885. Got the wiring harness and mounting kit at crutchfield.

Looks nice! I had infinities in my el camino when I had it... they sounded great.
Thanks, you need to hang around here more often!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
looks good. I assume you are not going to miss your 6 disc in-dash? i would. i use my ipod all the time but there are times when i just want to pop in a CD

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yup, a nice little nook for stuff. I don't know why Ford makes their radios so freaking big.
In dash 6 CD changers require space... let's also not forget that navigation screens require... space.

So there you have it!! By the way, I have 2 Alpine decks sitting on my back porch. Factory stereos are finally getting up to snuff. I'm surprised that there is such a huge difference in clarity between your factory and aftermarket... did you not have the upgraded system? I've only heard the Shaker 1000 so I don't know if the base stereos are crap or not.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks good. I assume you are not going to miss your 6 disc in-dash? i would. i use my ipod all the time but there are times when i just want to pop in a CD
I can't miss what I didn't have LOL, I had the stock radio....There is an option for a cd changer that goes with my head unit but why when you have an ipod or other portable mp3 device? It does come with a single CD player. The tunes on the IPod will show up on the Alpine display.
In dash 6 CD changers require space... let's also not forget that navigation screens require... space.

So there you have it!! By the way, I have 2 Alpine decks sitting on my back porch. Factory stereos are finally getting up to snuff. I'm surprised that there is such a huge difference in clarity between your factory and aftermarket... did you not have the upgraded system? I've only heard the Shaker 1000 so I don't know if the base stereos are crap or not.
Just had the stock and believe me, it is NOT up to snuff, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
'Sho is purdy! Ooooo wee!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That's exactly what I did last month, Pete! Replaced the headunit with the JVC below and the speakers with some 60 watt Infinitys I had.
It's awesome!!!!!!!

My headunit has a USB port on it. I put ALL my music on a 4GB flash drive. Everything I need is right there!! I never even use the CD player.
:bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's exactly what I did last month, Pete! Replaced the headunit with the JVC below and the speakers with some 60 watt Infinitys I had.
It's awesome!!!!!!!

My headunit has a USB port on it. I put ALL my music on a 4GB flash drive. Everything I need is right there!! I never even use the CD player.
:bigthumbsup
Looks nice, I like the front USB. You would think by now they would all have the front connections for aux or the ipod. I have to hook cables up to the back of it. I got a pretty good deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up. I can't get over the difference in the sound. :D
I thought about adding an amp but I really don't need it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Looks nice, I like the front USB. You would think by now they would all have the front connections for aux or the ipod. I have to hook cables up to the back of it. I got a pretty good deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up. I can't get over the difference in the sound. :D
I thought about adding an amp but I really don't need it.
Thanks! One of the other reasons I liked this particular model is that it's a double din so it fills in the factory radio space. (And 35/35 people on Crutchfield gave it 5 stars.)
I hate to appear ignorant (although it has happened before!), but how do you use your aux if you have to hook cables up to the back of the HU? Do you have a cable hanging down somewhere that you hook your ipod into??
Yeah, the difference it makes is incredible. I can turn it up much louder than I could before. And the Infinity speakers definitely make a noticeable diff. I'm with you on the amp--I don't know why I'd add another one. The existing amp more than does the job!
I'm glad you got a good deal on yours! My husband has an Alpine in his Corvette and it is the sh*t!

I guess people with splash guards/mud flaps think alike!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! One of the other reasons I liked this particular model is that it's a double din so it fills in the factory radio space. (And 35/35 people on Crutchfield gave it 5 stars.)
I hate to appear ignorant (although it has happened before!), but how do you use your aux if you have to hook cables up to the back of the HU? Do you have a cable hanging down somewhere that you hook your ipod into??
Yeah, the difference it makes is incredible. I can turn it up much louder than I could before. And the Infinity speakers definitely make a noticeable diff. I'm with you on the amp--I don't know why I'd add another one. The existing amp more than does the job!
I'm glad you got a good deal on yours! My husband has an Alpine in his Corvette and it is the sh*t!

I guess people with splash guards/mud flaps think alike!
There is a small pigtail din cable on the back that I hooked a cable to which routes under shift/e-brake console with the connector coming through the removable "trap" door in the arm rest compartment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.