Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an automatic that downshifts to slow? I mean when you givit some gas it doesnt want to downshift unless you almost WOT it? Does it seem to get worse when its warmer outside?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Every automatic I have even owned had the annoying habit of always being behind the program. Always shifting late so to speak. And when I force a down shift, the change always hits hard. Why I have a manual. The car is always in the right gear before I need it there and I can match the rpms for a down shift. The car barely feels it.

So what you describe is normal unless I am missing something.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Unfortunately sounds like every stock auto made (except for the paddle shifted semi-autos). Get in touch with Level 10 Transmissions. Of course they make billion dollar 1000hp 5R55S’s but they have all the electronic controls worked out too. Maybe they have a “shift kit” than can get your trans doing what you want it to.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every automatic I have even owned had the annoying habit of always being behind the program. Always shifting late so to speak. And when I force a down shift, the change always hits hard. Why I have a manual. The car is always in the right gear before I need it there and I can match the rpms for a down shift. The car barely feels it.

So what you describe is normal unless I am missing something.
Yea I know what you mean but this is ridiculously slow, I am talking 10 seconds or more with 1/2 throttle before it downshifts and if its really hot outside 3/4 throttle and it wont downshift at all, just boggs and slowly increases speed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
10 seconds??? mine takes about 1-2 seconds. Which is still annoying when I want to put it sideways around a corner.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yea I know what you mean but this is ridiculously slow, I am talking 10 seconds or more with 1/2 throttle before it downshifts and if its really hot outside 3/4 throttle and it wont downshift at all, just boggs and slowly increases speed.
Since your transmission is controlled by the computer, all I can think of is there is a sensor problem or an electrical connection to the sensor problem. I see you have an after market tune which on automatics also tweeks with the shifting. Might be another avenue to explore in the trouble shooting tree. Restoring your air induction back to stock and put your stock tune back in. See if there is a difference. If not then perhaps a transmission service is in order. Or you could keep a hand on the shift lever and use it like a manual. If I needed to put the pass on someone, I would want my car in the right gear PDQ even to where I would pull it into the needed gear.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called tillmans and they want me to do some data loging so they can see what s going on. They suspect possibly a bad temp sensor

·
Registered
129 Posts
Keep us posted as I have the same issue with my 06. Never in the right gear when reaccelerating. I can program it to shift so hard it snaches a second, but not sure you can change the down schedule.
I never had this problem with my 94 AOD.:headscratch:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.