Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery went dead again on my 06 Mustang GT. This is the third time. I opened the right door and it was from one second to the next the interior lights went off and that was it. It happened right there in front of me, so it's not the battery. Standing there in the garage looking at the car and talking to myself, I noticed the right interior light kept going on and off, so I took both battery cables off and there was still life in the battery. It is like I said in one my earlier posts, there is something that does this whenever it feels like it, there is no pattern. I think I just about had it.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I'd suspect the alternator. The OEM piece is not very good. Mine's already been replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My battery went dead again on my 06 Mustang GT. This is the third time. I opened the right door and it was from one second to the next the interior lights went off and that was it. It happened right there in front of me, so it's not the battery. Standing there in the garage looking at the car and talking to myself, I noticed the right interior light kept going on and off, so I took both battery cables off and there was still life in the battery. It is like I said in one my earlier posts, there is something that does this whenever it feels like it, there is no pattern. I think I just about had it.

we got our 05 gt in 12/04 and that has happened to us about 8 or more times,basiclly to many to count. we dont drive the car alot, we have about 8k miles on it. we commute ( living in quuens ,ny)and that is our "fun" car, well the dealer said because of all the "computer" stuff, auto starter,low jack,electrical components, if you dont drive-start car on a regualler basis this will happen. it is such ********. they said we need to get one of those charges to plug into lighter and plug into an outlet so this does not happen. my hubby wants to sue ford he is so pissed. he is afraid to even drive the car thinking we might get stuck. its a shame , he loves this car. he changes suspension and put in borlar exhaust. so what to do. have to start car every day. what happens if we go away etc. what to do???:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
<< have to start car every day. what happens if we go away etc. what to do???:headscratch: >>

This is very common with vehicles that don't get driven often. The dealership is also right. Modern cars have a lot of computer systems that use a small amount of power all the time. Don't you think the LoJack uses power?

The first thing to do is get a better battery. One that has more CCA's and a greater reserve.

Second, get a battery tender. They're very popular with the classic car and motorcycle crowd. It will keep your battery alive for months.

If you park outside, away from a power outlet, you can buy a solar panel battery charger. They work, but not nearly as well as a battery tender.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
we got our 05 gt in 12/04 and that has happened to us about 8 or more times,basiclly to many to count. we dont drive the car alot, we have about 8k miles on it. we commute ( living in quuens ,ny)and that is our "fun" car, well the dealer said because of all the "computer" stuff, auto starter,low jack,electrical components, if you dont drive-start car on a regualler basis this will happen. it is such ********. they said we need to get one of those charges to plug into lighter and plug into an outlet so this does not happen. my hubby wants to sue ford he is so pissed. he is afraid to even drive the car thinking we might get stuck. its a shame , he loves this car. he changes suspension and put in borlar exhaust. so what to do. have to start car every day. what happens if we go away etc. what to do???:headscratch:
Get a battery minder... 12 Volt-1 Amp  Charger and Maintainer
I just had the same problem with my battery since I don't drive the car much and this thing keeps it topped off. You just plug it in and forget it. I found it for $45 at Batterymart.com. It's cheaper than a battery tender and also deulphates the battery (keeps the plates clean).
Someone had also said on another thread to make sure you turn the stereo off before you turn off your car. After I had recharged my battery, I went to start it and I had left the stereo on. You wouldn't think that would do it, but maybe there is a bad ground somewhere in these cars.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Get a battery minder...*12 Volt-1 Amp* Charger and Maintainer
I just had the same problem with my battery since I don't drive the car much and this thing keeps it topped off. You just plug it in and forget it. I found it for $45 at Batterymart.com. It's cheaper than a battery tender and also deulphates the battery (keeps the plates clean).
Someone had also said on another thread to make sure you turn the stereo off before you turn off your car. After I had recharged my battery, I went to start it and I had left the stereo on. You wouldn't think that would do it, but maybe there is a bad ground somewhere in these cars.
I heard something about the amp still drawing power if the stereo is not turned off first. Not sure how true that is.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of all I just read, I think I will put my battery tender on and see if that will do it. I don't drive my car very often, it just sits there getting dusty. You guys brought up some very good points. Thank you all.

·
Registered
714 Posts
you can get the tender or just buy a better battery - Optima Red or Yellow top!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
you can get the tender or just buy a better battery - Optima Red or Yellow top!
I really don't think a different battery is going to do it. I think these cars have a power drain somewhere which will drain whatever battery you use. If you let the car sit for very long, you have to keep the battery topped off with a charger (no matter what the brand of battery). I think we are only hearing about this issue with the stock battery since that's what most guys still have in their car. Only time will tell though...maybe a TSB will come out one day if enough batteries go belly up. I do intend to get an Optima red top when this battery croaks though since they are real good batteries.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the trickle charger. Since I don't use the car very often, in the winter anyway, I've been thinking of a battery cut-off switch. This whole problem seems to happen to people who don't drive their cars very often. Thanks to all of you, this problem might be solved.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have the trickle charger. Since I don't use the car very often, in the winter anyway, I've been thinking of a battery cut-off switch. This whole problem seems to happen to people who don't drive their cars very often. Thanks to all of you, this problem might be solved.
That might be a good idea. I was reading on another forum where guys are actually disconnecting the battery cable to prevent the drain.
A switch might be easier...the only thing I would be concerned with would be to see if the car lost any of it's memory and forgot some settings. Mine forgot the radio presets after it went dead so I had to reset them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Make absolutely sure that you have turned your radio (at least if it's a Shaker 500 like mine) off before shutting the car off. I was experiencing a problem similar to yours with my 05. I saw something on another forum about the Shaker 500 systems continuing to draw current even with the car shut off if the radio was not turned off before shutting the car down. It's not a problem if the car only sits for a day or two. However, if the car will sit for an extended period of time, the drain from this can be enough to run the battery down. I have not had any problems with my battery since I started making sure to have the radio turned off first before shutting down the car.

This may not be what's causing your problem, but it is an issue for a lot of owners with the Shaker 500 system.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Make absolutely sure that you have turned your radio (at least if it's a Shaker 500 like mine) off before shutting the car off. I was experiencing a problem similar to yours with my 05. I saw something on another forum about the Shaker 500 systems continuing to draw current even with the car shut off if the radio was not turned off before shutting the car down. It's not a problem if the car only sits for a day or two. However, if the car will sit for an extended period of time, the drain from this can be enough to run the battery down. I have not had any problems with my battery since I started making sure to have the radio turned off first before shutting down the car.

This may not be what's causing your problem, but it is an issue for a lot of owners with the Shaker 500 system.
I do the same thing religiously since I read about it. 36 months and counting on the OEM battery. It's never lost a charge (except when my alternator died last month :( )

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah, I started turning my radio off too after I read about that. When I charged my battery back up and restarted the car...the radio was on.
There just might be something to that idea.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Yeah, I started turning my radio off too after I read about that. When I charged my battery back up and restarted the car...the radio was on.
There just might be something to that idea.
One thing I found weird. When my alternator died and my battery discharged the car had zero power. However, my Shaker 500 continued to do disk changes even with the power off. :so

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am going through the dead battery thing again here. In February was the first time is ever died and I have an 05. After researching the forums and rechargeing the battery and making sure the electrolite was topped off and in good condition I got into the habit of shutting the radio/cd player off before I turned the car off. Well after 5 days of not driving it I went to start it yesterday and nothing.........again. I have never had a car where you had to shut the radio off efore and thought well maybe theres something to it after reading the forums. Well I am here to tell you that by shutting the radio off by itself, that isnt going to take care of your problem. Just my 2 cents........

Now is there any TSB's on this yet?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I am going through the dead battery thing again here. In February was the first time is ever died and I have an 05. After researching the forums and rechargeing the battery and making sure the electrolite was topped off and in good condition I got into the habit of shutting the radio/cd player off before I turned the car off. Well after 5 days of not driving it I went to start it yesterday and nothing.........again. I have never had a car where you had to shut the radio off efore and thought well maybe theres something to it after reading the forums. Well I am here to tell you that by shutting the radio off by itself, that isnt going to take care of your problem. Just my 2 cents........

Now is there any TSB's on this yet?
So much for that theory :( No TSBs have been issued for battery drain.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
One thing I found weird. When my alternator died and my battery discharged the car had zero power. However, my Shaker 500 continued to do disk changes even with the power off. :so
Are you saying that it does disk changes when you turn the stereo off or it was doing them when your battery was dead? Either one is pretty strange.
I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the power shut off delay they have to the interior. You know how you can leave your stereo on until you open the door (or it times out)? You can also roll up a window, etc. and the dome lights time out. I bet there is some kind of drain due to a faulty switch or relay. Ford needs to fix this thing that's for sure.

D

·
0 Posts
If your alternator checks out fine, sounds like something is still drawing power with ignition off... and/or not going to sleep as designed. Test for parasitic draw... there are a number of "how-to" links... here's one that's pretty simple:

How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain - wikiHow

If you have a basic multimeter, it can be set to test amperage. You'll need to charge up your battery first, then test. Once you have the multimeter in-line, and everything you know turned off in the car, start pulling fuses one-by-one and watch the draw. Start with the Radio/Shaker500 fuses first, as they may be your culprit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.