Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went take my intake manifold off last night so I could take the butterflies off of my CM plates. Easy. Pulled the plates off and gutted them. They are all prepped ready for the holes to be filled with my epoxy of choice. Then I got a bright idea...

Let's change the spark plugs! Bad mistake.... I know these things are prone to breaking off so I followed the TSB and cracked the threads about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn and let them soak with some WD-40. I figured over night would be even better so I let them sit. This morning I went out to pull the plugs and got the front 6 out ok. The back 2... not so much.

Now how the hell do you get these things out? I don't have a Rotunda tool. I tried screw/bolt extractor bits. I even tried a tap. Nothing works. So I remain without a stang until I get this fixed. I really wasn't looking to pull the heads off already... I did a little Google searching a few blogs are suggesting this tool: Lisle Ford Broken Spark Plug Remover LIS 65600 (Alt 303-1203 303-1398) | Lisle
Do any of you guys have experience with this? Any other reccomendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
snap on makes a tool that is suppose to be the cats ass in taking them out. let me look through my master catalog and find you a part number.

·
Registered
504 Posts
the lisle one is listed in my snap on catalog. but i cant find the snap on one. there probly the same setup anyway.

lisle also makes a spark plug rethreading kit in case you have to drill it out also puts new inserts in. part # LIL65900

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I don't have any advice, I just want to say I feel for ya.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but who can tell me when Ford fixed this problem? Would I have this issue in my 2010?

·
Registered
81 Posts
they fixed the problem back in 07 or 08 so your 2010 will be fine

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they fixed the problem back in 07 or 08 so your 2010 will be fine
They fixed it in the year 2007 so some '07's and all '08+ have the new cylinder head design. Who design's 2-piece spark plugs anyway? They should be shot :yelwacko:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
How long were the plugs in there?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
JB weld them back together and tryagain in 24hours........you can call me an idiot now.
nice try, good attempt, A+ for effort, but i gotta say it.......your an idiot:laugh::wavey

·
Registered
148 Posts
When you say they fixed the problem back in 2007/2008, does that mean they went to using a conventional one piece spark plug? Or did they change the cylinder head in a way that prevents the plug bottom from getting stuck?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you say they fixed the problem back in 2007/2008, does that mean they went to using a conventional one piece spark plug? Or did they change the cylinder head in a way that prevents the plug bottom from getting stuck?
Both of the above. It just sucks going in to change these things and you know they might break off. You don't think it will happen to you and then it does.... :cursing:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Cylinder heads no longer require a high thread design.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.