Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with my dad tonight about the car and he sees how much im now making at my new job. I said why are you so worried about voiding warranty, he says "I dont care if its voided, but if anything major goes wrong.. its out of your pocket then" That is fine w/ me, if its major, i will just buy a pos car for like 500 dollars to get around till its up and running again if anything happened.. anyhow ive looked at cams and have some questions

Comp Cams from what ive heard are one of the best to go with. What would be pushing the limit for driveabilty, meaning too rough and annoying.. Is Stage III pushing it? or should i get Stage II if III is too rough.. it says noticable rough idle.. but thats idle..hows actual driving? STL what cams do you have? would you recomend them?

Is there a big hp/tq difference between Stage II and Stage III Comp Cams??

(How much would install be for these things)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ford shop time shows 5.3 hours to replace the cams so... depending where you go the price could range from $300-$550 for labor. The latter being a Ford dealer (if they'll do the job)

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the lift and duration difference between stage II & III?
Stage II Specs
Gross Lift Intake- .480, Exhaust- .470
Advertised Duration Intake- 253°, Exhaust- 274°

Stage III Specs
Gross Lift Intake- .490, Exhaust- .480
Advertised Duration Intake- 261°, Exhaust- 278°

Ford shop time shows 5.3 hours to replace the cams so... depending where you go the price could range from $300-$550 for labor. The latter being a Ford dealer (if they'll do the job)
Damn, they rob people.. my friend got a huge front mount air to air intercooler for his turbo, cams, and meth installed for not even that much.. lol..

i dont even think id take it to ford, warranty would get voided most likely.. id take it to a mustang specialty shop, and have them dyno tune it.. i just wonder how much rwhp / rwtq i can pull out of it.. i wonder if 310rwhp would even be logical?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you see the XFI SPR cams that COMP cams offers? They look awesome... I'd go stage III for sure:bigthumbsup
Are you near Clearwater?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you see the XFI SPR cams that COMP cams offers? They look awesome... I'd go stage III for sure:bigthumbsup
Are you near Clearwater?

Nope didnt see them cams? ill go back and look? is it on their website?? or do mustang sites sell them?? The ones you talked about claim they need ported heads and have a horrible idle.. so i think id stick to just the normal Comp Cams Stage III

I want a cam thatll sound sick as hell on idle, and give a great power increase for the money.. all stage I , II, and III are 649.99$... :)

Nope, dont live right near it but its not that far.. id be willing to drive why??

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need-4-Speed is a great Mustang shop in Clearwater. I used to purchase parts from Tony... He's a cool guy. I believe he sells COMP cams too. Check him out www.need-4-speed.com
By the quick glance i did on his online store, it only said Crane.. no comp :(.. anyhow.. his shop is about 100 miles from my house.. roughly 1hr 46mins according to mapquest if thats even correct.. but does Tony install and dyno tune there? or no?

well imma go 2 bed, ill check back in the morning.. (Got Chemistry class early..7am.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey, hope you sleep well.

Yes, Tony does have a dyno and does installs. If you click on the products page where it lists cams you can scroll down and you'll see some COMP stuff.

Good luck with you project.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Better tack on some more time & money with that cam install. Anything over a Stage I upgrade is going to require you to replace the springs and retainers and the install will likely take upwards of an entire day. You are probably looking at about $2K after it's all said and done and that's without a tune.

Figure to pick up 20+ hp with that upgrade, more with a header upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Cost me $1200 P&L for my first cam install (those were stage 1s without the springs/retainers). A set of stage 3s with steel springs and retainers should cost around $1500 p&l.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1200 for no spring and only 300 more to change springs?

I am seeing people pay more like 2500 to do cams, springs, retainers and locks. They either have to use an air adapter and change one at a time . That would add several hours of labor alone because you can only change out one spring at a time.
You have the cost of springs, retainers and locks and possibly cam phasers and VVT lock-out.
Overall you can only gain about 20 RWHP unless you do all the other supporting mods to take advantage of the cams. (that doesnt include your cup holder bezel)
Oh and then you need a really good tuner to dial those cams in so 2500 seems about right.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
1200 for no spring and only 300 more to change springs?

I am seeing people pay more like 2500 to do cams, springs, retainers and locks. They either have to use an air adapter and change one at a time . That would add several hours of labor alone because you can only change out one spring at a time.
You have the cost of springs, retainers and locks and possibly cam phasers and VVT lock-out.
Overall you can only gain about 20 RWHP unless you do all the other supporting mods to take advantage of the cams. (that doesnt include your cup holder bezel)
Oh and then you need a really good tuner to dial those cams in so 2500 seems about right.
My second set of cams were done with the heads off the engine.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damn thats alot of cash to shell out for a single mod.. im looking for the best power gain for the best price.. and i cant seem to find it.. lol everything is 2 much cash.. :( i might aswell just wait for my damn f/i

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
damn thats alot of cash to shell out for a single mod.. im looking for the best power gain for the best price.. and i cant seem to find it.. lol everything is 2 much cash.. :( i might aswell just wait for my damn f/i
Might be a good decision. Glad you're taking your time and doing some research!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
if i was you i would wait on the FRPP cams to come out........have a very nice idle (very noticable) and they do not require springs to be changed!!!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might be a good decision. Glad you're taking your time and doing some research!!!
Oh yeah im reading up on abunch of stuff when i have time between jobs/school.. i sure as hell dont want to waste money and get stuck with something i am not going to use.

Im like you STL, i like the idea of staying all motor.. but on the other hand i want a great power upgrade for a good price.. thats why i have shot down my FRPP 3.73 gears when ford said 600+ to install w/o the parts and oils.. that sucks.. if i was a grown man and i had money to tow with id do it right away, but it takes alot of time and hard work to get all the money i do and i want the MOST power out of my car for the money i put into it..

if i was you i would wait on the FRPP cams to come out........have a very nice idle (very noticable) and they do not require springs to be changed!!!
FRPP is making cams?? i wonder how much those will be.. when do you think they come out, does it say on the FRPP site?

·
Registered
137 Posts
they are around, just not fully "released" yet.......there is a vid on youtube of the cams at idle, they sound wicked.......i think they will be released this month.......MSRP is going to be around $750.......more than a comp cam, but you get the good "cammed" sound with these..........they are called FRPP hot rod cams.........PM me if you want to know more.

·
Registered
522 Posts
you can see some of the specs. on Suttonhp.com there is a waiting list on that site for the FRPP hot rod cams.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.