Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,468 Posts
I totally agree to just wait for the F/I. Then you can get 20 HP any time you want by just changing the pulley.

Save your money for your forged motor. I think I know you well enough to know you're going to want one.

· Registered
2011 GT500 SVTPP
156 Posts
Better tack on some more time & money with that cam install. Anything over a Stage I upgrade is going to require you to replace the springs and retainers and the install will likely take upwards of an entire day. You are probably looking at about $2K after it's all said and done and that's without a tune.

Figure to pick up 20+ hp with that upgrade, more with a header upgrade.

With basic mods that almost everyone has done already (CAI, 91 tune, exhaust, UDP) the stage3 puts down 35 hp (according to Brenspeed). You'll get 20 from the stage 2 cams.

I'm still undecided. $650 for +20hp seems reasonable for the stage2's, when it's a DIY install by just removing the valve covers. That extra +15 with the stage3's doesn't seem to be worth over twice the cost.

· Registered
3,251 Posts
With basic mods that almost everyone has done already (CAI, 91 tune, exhaust, UDP) the stage3 puts down 35 hp (according to Brenspeed). You'll get 20 from the stage 2 cams.

I'm still undecided. $650 for +20hp seems reasonable for the stage2's, when it's a DIY install by just removing the valve covers. That extra +15 with the stage3's doesn't seem to be worth over twice the cost.
If you don't plan on ever removing the engine for any reason, I'd say go for it. Doing the springs is WAY eaiser with the engine out of the car.

You're right, when you look at the cost, it would be technically more cost effective to just get the lower stage/NSR cams, strictly from a hp-to-$$$ sense. It would be cheaper than a header purchase/install and Brenspeed could likely send you a tune to accomodate them and you could save on the dyno tune.

· Registered
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I totally agree to just wait for the F/I. Then you can get 20 HP any time you want by just changing the pulley.

Save your money for your forged motor. I think I know you well enough to know you're going to want one.
Very true, id have to agree with you.. Once i got the blower/turbo.. whatever i do end up buying.. imma keep it at 8 to 8.5 psi since itll go up a lil.. and then start saving for my Forged Rotating Assembly from Livernois so then i can push like 12lbs.. thats all i need to handle 12lbs right? Also do i need ARP Headstuds?

they are around, just not fully "released" yet.......there is a vid on youtube of the cams at idle, they sound wicked.......i think they will be released this month.......MSRP is going to be around $750.......more than a comp cam, but you get the good "cammed" sound with these..........they are called FRPP hot rod cams.........PM me if you want to know more.
Man i have got to check that out!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.