Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cervinis side exhaust system on my gt and when I was driving home i heard a loud BANG. At first I thought I blew a tire..turns out, my side exhaust tip exploded. I took a look at the damage and thought maybe it fell out (i.e. loose weld) but there was clearly an inch to an inch and a half still welded inside the main exhaust pipe. I dont know how or why this happend but the exhaust tip was in tons of pieces all over the interesction.:so

I need help now trying to find a solution. Im pretty sure cervinis wont sell just a tip so I dont know if I should look into taking out the whole thing and running straight pipes, cutouts or what. Any advice is WELL appreciated. thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does Roush sell tips? Those square looking ones might not look too bad with those skirts...

I would call Cervini's at least though... if it's welded on in their shop, they might be able to sell or order you some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats one of the oddest things I've seen. Could someone have stuffed a potato up your pipe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol you know I was thinking about that as well, its odd it blew right where the pipe merges into 2 and could of very well have been stuffed. That would also explain the explosion I heard as well, although an exhaust tip spontaneously combusting into quarter size chunks might also have something to do with the sound ha:scratchchin

·
Registered
112 Posts
i had almost the same thing happen to mine last week, it didnt explode but half of it tore off and shot to the side of the freeway, i went back had my buddy jump outa the car and nab it. i have just about the same amount that u do still on ur car. i think its the welds, because the exhaust tip is pure aluminum, so the welds must have misformed of softened the tip

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had my side exhaust for 5 years now with no issues. You guys are making me nervous. Let me know if you hear anything from Cervinis. Every time I have called with other issues, they have always helped me out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have 2006 drop top and i had the same problem as you did. You said you have eibach springs on your car, are they the sport or touring, and did you ever contact cervini? I did and they told me you can buy just the tips themselfs but they are $250! they had me send 10 or 11 pics of the damage and the tip, and decided that it was because the car bottomed out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's the deal , Cervini's WILL send you new exhaust tips, However the price is not cheap and the only way they will send them is if you prove that you actually have them on your car (To avoid others ordering and copying them) So you may as well get prepared to have a handful of pics to send them through Email.

I can't tell from your photo but it looks like you crushed the area where the tip and pipe mate. If this is so it could explain why it ended up in pieces they are made from pot metal I believe and the stuff is pretty brittle. I've had mine blow off multiple times but I also didn't weld mine (For this very reason) when there not welded the will just separate and always leave you with the ability to just back track and retrieve your part as a back-up I keep some steel twine tied around the tips and around some areas along the pipes.

Having said all of that this mod was the one thing I did to my car that I actually really regret. They look great and get a ton of stares but since the day I installed them it's been nothing but one huge headache.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts