Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very sad this has to be my first post to the forum. But alas facepalm2.gif

I consider myself a novice but between you guys and youtube, it helps put the mind at ease a bit more, so thank you for everything. I just wanted some input before the paranoia sets in.

Recently, I was in a hurry to meet with a friend and while trying to scurry out of my parking spot in a parking garage, I decided instead of going in reverse, going forward to maneuver out would have saved time forgetting there was a parking curb in front of the car. Big 'DOH' moment. My poor Mustang pops over with both front tires and goes about halfway over, and in instantaneous embarrassment/panic I stop and then continue until the second set go over. I hear those loud scraping sounds that sends shivers down any car owner's spine and then speed out of the garage in panic mode.

I get out and check for any big obvious damage but didn't see anything until later at home using the jack to get a better look and just saw some cosmetic scraping damage to the bottom frame paint. This is where I am wondering whether or not to take it in even though there's no noticeable vibrations or misalignment (for now).

It's a stock 2006 GT Convertible with around 48k miles on it. Previous owner and I bought from dealership used 6 mo ago. Now I never really paid much attention to the tachometer because it seems to have been moving in progression (slowly) naturally when I had it before. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention before, but now I'm being super attentive to everything and I'm noticing the tach jumps on startup to around 2.5k RPMs and then dwindles slowly down to idle at around 1,000 RPMs. I don't think that's a huge red flag, but when I begin to back out and accelerate (not even throttling hard), the needle jumps a little too quickly for comfort IMO to around 3k and then hovers around 2-2.5k RPMs on normal acceleration and highway speed.

I don't know if that's worthy of huge concern, but I'm wondering if this has anything to do with that curb encounter or its just an issue of coincidental timing and I should get my transmission fluid checked or just try unhooking the battery for a few minutes or what to reset sensors.

I bought the extended warranty from the Mercedes dealership but I'm assuming my dumb mistake would void any coverage and then claiming insurance would jump my rates like crazy (if covered I assume) confused013.gif

Any and all thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

(Sorry for the long-windedness)

-R

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you didnt tear up the exhaust and just have scraping, it'll be ok. Since drove over it slowly, while it scraped, it didnt bang down onto the curb, which would have been worse.

The idling and startup are related to the tune. If it's a factory tune, it's 'correct' and not warranty. If there's an aftermarket tune in the car, that could be claimed as an improperly programmed PCM, and it may be covered under your warranty. You'd have to prove there's an issue with it, though.
An aftermarket tuen will solve that, and make the car run better. American Muscle sells tuners with tunes and can fix you up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, TexasBlownV8. I really really appreciate the feedback. It's all stock, though I've heard the aftermarket tuning is highly recommended. I've been peeking underneath it for the past 2 days out of fear for the worst, but maybe I got lucky with just cosmetic. I imagine there was a small fall down after the front tires went over it, but I don't see anything leaking/dented, etc.

Do you or anyone else have any advice or easy tests to see if the auto transmission may have been impacted? It seems like in the past month or so (even before this) that the gears arent as smooth in transition and theres a slight thud in putting it in reverse sometimes on cold startup. Got the oil change but maybe I need to take it back to the ford dealership for a look.

·
Registered
714 Posts
With that many miles, you should get the trans fluid and filter changed. Just good maintenance and that should resolve your shifting issues.
The auto trannies hold up very well, but if they go neglected, they will wear out sooner.

And don't feel bad about the curb. I did that on my driver side once, and it messed up part of the rocker panel underneath. I felt the same way.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Might want to paint or otherwise protect any places where you scraped all the way down to bare metal.

Norm

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Wifes 06 GT Vert engine idle does the same as you mentioned when starting up, its normal, has done it from day one, even with a custom tune.

·
Registered
49 Posts
doing an transmission flush if its an automatic is a great idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts