Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 Mustang Gt Concerns

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  bigkzilla 
#1 ·
My 2006 Mustang Gt has a noise coming from the rear of the car and i cant determine what it is coming from. When i first start the car up it doesnt make the noise then after the car warms up and i am just costing along and i give it a little gas it starts. It kinda sounds like a rattling noise at time then other times it sounds like a grinding noise. Another concern is my car is a automatic and when i have it in drive and i am costing i can punch the pedal and it will rev up and not accelorate. kinda makes it dangerous going through heavy traffic. The only mods that are done to my car is i have a superchips programmer that i set up the revlimiter and shift points and took away the top speed shut off. It has a Shaker hood scope and thats it. i would like to max out my cars horsepower in the cheapest way possable minus the supercharger, that will have to come later. Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

#2 ·
I bet you have something wrong with your differential. It is common in the earlier S197s. Check out the TSB sticky link on the front page of the Tech forum and look for all of the TSBs related to the rear end. If that's what it is now would be a great time to swap gears out :winks

Oh, and welcome! :)

#4 ·
Thanx i really appreciate it, what kinda of work do you have done to your car? i am trying to get some ideas for mine but i really dont know where to start at.
I haven't done a ton to mine yet. Some minor bolt-on stuff. Mostly cosmetics and suspension. Click on the View My Profile link under my avatar for a full list.

Anyways, it depends where you want to end up in the end but most people go either the cold air intake/programmer route or the programmer/rear gear swap route as their first mod. Do you want to go supercharged or stay naturally aspirated? That is the first thing you should probably answer. Depending on which end result you want to get to your mods can be planned out so you don't waste your money in the end. There is a great sticky link for first modders in the Tech forum too.

#5 ·
I would like to one day go the supercharged route but not at the time right now the wife would kill me if she new i drop around $8,000 into my car for one part. my car runs good but there is always room for improvement and i want to push my car to its limit on horsepower minus the supercharger.

#6 ·
Well if I were you I would take the car in to see what is wrong with the rear end. While they are in there I would swap out the rear gears for some 3.73s (I'd stay away from anything steeper if you want to go F/I some day and don't want to tear the rear end apart again). Then I would get a programmer (get rid of that superchips thing)/cold air intake combo from Brenspeed or American Muscle. From there you can upgrade the suspension and/or put some exhaust on. Beyond that you start getting into some big $ (with a few exceptions) for incremental horsepower. You can turbo charge it for less than $3000. Check out shifter87's thread in the Talk forum.

#8 ·
No. It would cost more to have it professionally installed as does anything. Add another $1k or so to that probably.

#10 ·
Could be a combination of both. I wouldn't think the dif would rattle but could "grind". Conversely I don't think I have ever heard of exhaust "grinding" either... Mine used to "squeak". Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.