Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 GT convertible is driven from April 15 to October 15. When it snows and blows, the Mustang sleeps in an unheated garage. After discussion with the dealer in the fall of '06, we decided to remove the battery and store it indoors. The following spring, I re-installed the battery. The vehicle started normally. The clock and radio station preferences were reset and we hit the road. About a month into the '07 spring season, the vehicle would not start. The dealer replaced the batttery under warranty. All was well for the rest of the season. Around mid-April of '08, the stored battery (replacement) was re-installed and everything started up normally. After about a month of intermittent use (the weather has been spotty this year) we had another no-start. After jump starting and re-setting the clock and radio, everything was back to normal. The dealer has looked at it again and has recommended (a) drive more and (b) get an intelligent trickle charger. Ford has issued TSB 07-5-13 on the subject which suggests that operation for two hours or more at RPM's above 1500 are required to fully charge a battery. The bulleting applies to 2005-2008 Ford Mustang, Explorer, Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.
There are no after-market devices installed in the vehicle. My closest neighbors have 4 Mustang GT's (2002 to 2006) between them. All are winter stored without removing the battery. Most of them driver their vehicles less than I do. None have reported battery problems
Has anyone out there had similar experience?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
You can't just pull the batt and expect it to hold a charge. You need to put the batt on a trickle charger and make sure it's not on concrete. And STL is right you should have the alt. checked for output.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, I have a '06 and it does that. I don't drive the car enough, so the battery goes dead. I bought a battery cut-off switch, no more problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My battery failed at about the 2 1/2 year mark. Not a daily driver because of the traffic. Shut off the radio when you shut down. The internal system is always running checks so that adds to the battery being taxed for power. Even if you don't drive it crank it up for a few minutes to put a little charge back in.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You answered your own question in your first sentence. You must use a battery maintainer if you dont drive the car daily. There's no way around it, and all the battery theory in the world won't turn your engine over when it dies. I've been a Porsche Rep for 13-years and if the cars sit for a week and a half, it's toast, and the Moll-Porsche Batteries are a lot more than a Motorcraft. It's a *****, but that's the way it is. You can get a decent maintainer for $19 at Walmart, or a good one from Battery Tender for $49. I spend the few minutes needed to install the permanent plug on the battery. When I put it in the garage, I pop the hood and plug it in. I do the same with my Harley.

D

·
0 Posts
I let my 06GT sit for 4 days.. and it was completely dead. Ford replaced battery under warranty (only had 12 months and 9K mi rolled up). As soon as I got it home, hooked it up to a battery tender plus unit.. no problems since. I use the dash power plug adapter to float charge it while not in use (instead of opening/closing hood).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Mine died at 25,000 miles. 2006 also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The first year I stored my 06 during winter my battery went dead two - three times. I couldn't figure what was drawing against the battery. This past winter I didn't arm the alarm and the battery was fine all winter. The car sat for 3 months never started. Fired up with no problems when spring hit. So now I don't arm the alarm when stored.

D

·
0 Posts
There was a post on another forum regarding the battery issue. After letting car sit for an hour, he found he still had parasitic drain... turned out to be a faulty window switch relay in the door (constantly drawing mA). Replaced switch and re-tested.. found he no longer had any parasitic drain and hasn't had a battery problem since.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
There was a post on another forum regarding the battery issue. After letting car sit for an hour, he found he still had parasitic drain... turned out to be a faulty window switch relay in the door (constantly drawing mA). Replaced switch and re-tested.. found he no longer had any parasitic drain and hasn't had a battery problem since.
How on earth did he manage to find a switch drawing current?

·
Registered
752 Posts
My battery died on me tonight. 1.5 years of owning the Mustang. I've tried charging it (for 30 minutes) and it did no good. It charged enough to work the electronics but not enough to start the car (clicking noises when the car turns over). Hopefully at 18,000 miles and 1.5 years of ownership the battery is still under warranty that I can get it replaced. It's just a matter of trying to get the car, with a non-functioning battery to the dealership so that I can get a replacement installed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have 36,000 on my 07 and I have already had to replace my altenator (approx. 24,000 Miles) and my battery @ (approx. 32,000 miles).

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that there was a chance that the alternator was on the blink as well. My car isn't a daily driver so it gets driven sporadically (typically at the end of the week depending on the weather). The last time I drove her was from May 22nd - May 26th. I was sort of on a mini vacation so my Mustang was the only thing I drove and according to the instructions on the first page in regards to how to fully charge the battery, I definitely drove it more than 2 hours (and above 1500 rpms) in the four days I was off from work. It sat from May 26th until tonight when I tried to unlock it (with the key fob) to put my stuff in it for work tomorrow. It wouldn't even kick over when I tried to crank (only the airbag light came on). So I tried charging it for a little over a half hour. I checked on it later and all the electronics worked but the car just wouldn't start. It got me to thinking I might have a problem with the alternator. I'm hoping it's only the battery but if it's not hopefully everything else will be covered under warranty. Just gotta get the car to the dealership.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Given my experience thus far with the quality...or lack thereof, it wouldn't surprise me if changing charging system components becomes the norm.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You answered your own question in your first sentence. You must use a battery maintainer if you dont drive the car daily. There's no way around it, and all the battery theory in the world won't turn your engine over when it dies. I've been a Porsche Rep for 13-years and if the cars sit for a week and a half, it's toast, and the Moll-Porsche Batteries are a lot more than a Motorcraft. It's a *****, but that's the way it is. You can get a decent maintainer for $19 at Walmart, or a good one from Battery Tender for $49. I spend the few minutes needed to install the permanent plug on the battery. When I put it in the garage, I pop the hood and plug it in. I do the same with my Harley.
I hate to disagree, but if it smells like ****, it must be...

There is absolutely no excuse for these batteries going dead in a week. Do a search on 2005 mustang battery drain and you will find a thousand unhappy owners who come back to a dead battery after only four days of being parked.

I just purchased a 2006 Shelby GT-H with 4700 miles, and cannot leave it for more than three days without coming back to a dead battery. I hooked an ammeter inline and measured up to TWO AMPS of fluctuating current draw while the car sits parked. It shouldn't require more than 100 mA to satisfy the keep-alive memory on the clock, computer and anti-theft. Ford's ******** answer about purchasing a battey tender should be sent to the BBB!

My 1993 Cobra can sit for months at a time, along with my 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo, and I never have a starting issue with either. Yet, I cannot park my new mustang at the airport during a weekend trip, and start it when I get back?

Everybody should complain to Ford about this problem so hopefully they will take it seriously.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Cars that sit need a trickle charger on them when not driving. My car sat for a week and it started up . Cars that sit for months need a trickle charger.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts