Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that is going to be my next purchase. My question is that Steeda claims that there economy plates are the OE plates with the butterflies removed. Im wondering if I can remove the butterflies from my stock plates and save $150.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think I read a thread a while back where someone did just that. I'll try to search for it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried but I couldnt dig up anything. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
It would require someone with aluminum welding abilities to fill the holes left behind. Not worth the hassle or expense.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. Thats what I needed to know. I knew if it was relatively easy someone would have done it already.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I wondered if the holes could be plugged with JB Weld or something, but that could be a problem if a chunk came loose and got sucked into the intake,

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I wondered if the holes could be plugged with JB Weld or something, but that could be a problem if a chunk came loose and got sucked into the intake,
Wouldn't want that to happen. :happyhapp

·
Registered
318 Posts
Didn't tact_out have his stock ones welded? You might wanna ask him. Yeah I think you can just remove the butterflies but with the holes left behind you might have flow problems.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Didn't tact_out have his stock ones welded? You might wanna ask him. Yeah I think you can just remove the butterflies but with the holes left behind you might have flow problems.
Yeah, leaving the holes would create all kinds of turbulence problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have been told by some that the delete plates are a waste of money, but i dont see how................does anyone have experience with them, and are they worth the money? thanks

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
They're good for about 10 rwhp but depending on the tune can sacrifice a little low-end torque.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I read a thread a while back that someone dynoed the before and after delete plate install and gained 5 RWHP and 5 RWT.
It was on another forum I believe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have them on my 05GT.
5 RWHP & RWT is what your going to get.
It does sacrifice low end torque, so there's give & take.
Overall it's a coin toss, and I dont think I do it again. You'll also need a re-tune also.

I read a thread a while back that someone dynoed the before and after delete plate install and gained 5 RWHP and 5 RWT.
It was on another forum I believe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can use JB Weld if you're really good with the stuff. I used to do that with the older '96-98 Cobra units. Works fine but you have to be extremely careful with it. I would have a welding shop fill them and be done with it.

As far as being cost-effective......you need to look at your combination and see if it makes sense. On a mildly or moderately modified N/A car I would leave the system on the car. If you have cams/headwork/exhaust/etc on a good N/A car then they are a must. Any form of forced induction will benefit from having the delete plates installed. Turbo cars can get away with not running the deletes if the boost comes on around 2800 or higher. By that time the computer has pulled the butterflys completely open anyway.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't think you want to buy the delete plates if your going to go with a Whipple of KB positive displacement blower. I believe those blowers come with intakes that bolt straight to the heads (so you wouldn't use plates whether or not they have butterflies in them). Saleen may reuse the stock intake though so you would want the plates. Any blown guys, please correct me if I've got that wrong.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I don't think you want to buy the delete plates if your going to go with a Whipple of KB positive displacement blower. I believe those blowers come with intakes that bolt straight to the heads (so you wouldn't use plates whether or not they have butterflies in them). Saleen may reuse the stock intake though so you would want the plates. Any blown guys, please correct me if I've got that wrong.
Fine for a centrifugal or turbo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.