Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m new to the site and I’m looking for a little help. My 18 year old son just purchased a 2006 Mustang GT that needs a little work that we plan on doing together. We need to replace the passenger side door. In looking at the existing door and the replacement door, I have the following questions:

Do I need to remove the fender to replace the door? It appears the door wiring harness plugs in thru the door pillar. Not Sure how that could be done with the fender on unless there’s a way to reach it under the dash.

Once the door is bolted on, how are the adjustments done to fine tune opening, shutting and body gaps. I’ve adjusted an old Chevy door by rolling the door in and out as well moving the hing backwards and forwards. Took many hours but I got it done. I’m really hoping the Mustang is much easier to do.

I’m hoping someone out there has been down this road before and can provide some guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Walt

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

Hopefully someone will jump in soon with an answer that helps.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I wrestled with the same issues while running speaker wire through that door harness connector. Based on my experience, removing the fender will make the job much easier. If you have very small hands it's possible to disconnect the harness at the pillar; without removing the fender. However, it is tedious and time consuming. I was able to do it, but what a headache.

As it relates to aligning the door. It can be done if you have two people working on it. I've also seen someone use a floor jack to raise the door and hold it in the open position while adjusting the hinge bolts. Again, two people are recommended. Another suggestion is to spray paint around the existing hinges and let the paint dry. You can use this as a template for installing the new door hinges. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding huberoy123. Do you know how far the wiring harness plug is inside the pillar? Depending on how far the plug is inside the pillar, I was thinking I might be able to unbolt the door with it resting on my floor jack and scoot it back far enough to get a hand in there to unsnap it. Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've been curious to see how we're coming along here.

Saw this thread three days ago yet felt I had no actual answers.

I've watched many videos about car assembly in the manufacturing process. They paint the bodies with doors on. Then they remove the doors. The window glass, window regulators, speakers, door latch, door cards, etc. are put in/on the doors whilst the doors are off the vehicles.

So I still wonder just how they reattach doors to car body ? I'd say they probably have the doors off, leaving the hinges still on the car body. Must be, as hinges cannot come off or on to body with front fenders in place.

I'd assume it's designed to be easy to attach wiring harness connector from door to body of car when they are adding the filled doors back onto car. So at that point wiring harness within cabin of car must be all set to receive the electrical connector from door.

All I can offer at this point: That connector has 40 pins and there are 25 wires used within that connector.
I'd assume there must be a simple way to unclip the connector from car body from outside of body.

Don't quote me on any of the above...Mostly guessing.

I am not a body man, just a retired mechanic.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for responding huberoy123. Do you know how far the wiring harness plug is inside the pillar? Depending on how far the plug is inside the pillar, I was thinking I might be able to unbolt the door with it resting on my floor jack and scoot it back far enough to get a hand in there to unsnap it. Please let me know. Thanks.
Sorry it took so long to respond. You can unsnap it from the outside. After removing the rubber boot, you will see a molex, which has tabs on each end, If you can find a video on youtube showing how to get wiring through a ford molex, it will give you an excellent idea of what is involved. This is an example:https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/how-to-run-speaker-wire-to-front-doors-2007-2009.105410/

Reactions: s197gt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much huberoy123. After reading some of that link you sent, I”m thinking It might be easier to come at from the other direction. I.e. leaving my existing wiring harness in the pillar and just unplugging it from the door I’m removing at each location and plugging all the ends back into to the new door. I’m Prolly a few weeks out on starting the swap but will post when I get into it. Thanks.

Walt

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That's 25 wires to deal with ...well, within various connector in a door...not a great idea in my mind. and very time consuming...well maybe you are going to have the door panel/card off both doors anyway ?? if interior trim is different from one door to the other...Still I'd not do it that way.

After watching all those online pics in detail...seems quite easy to unplug the door harness from the car body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update. My son and I swapped the passenger side door this evening. It went really smooth. My son was able to reach his hands in between the pillar and the door and unsnap the wiring harness on the car side in the pillar.

I used my floor jack with a 2x4 on the bottom of the door to support it. I held the door and he unbolted it And I slid the door back from the pillar on the jack to give him room to unsnap the harness. We then tape the plug to the outside of the pillar so it would not fall back inside the pillar.

We Put the new door on the jack and 2x4 and slid The door back up to the car And bolted it on. There was no adjustments needed with the new door. The body gaps are correct and it opens and shuts great.

huberoy123 thank you so much for the link. It was a big help!

Walt

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
Congrats! Mission accomplished, good job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts