Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say hello! to everyone. Im speaking for my son who works as a chef in a local resturant so he works long hours. Ive always been a car enthusiast, owned a 65 GT 4speed pony interior,Corvette,Trans am. Restored several antique vehicles. Raced Motocross in my younger days also. Alway attend Carlisle car show and Ford Nationals. Got my youngest son involved in the hobby and we both enjoy it. He owned a 97 V6 which we did several Mods to. Had to have a V8. Now owns an 06 GT. Installed Cervini Elanore kit on it Looks great. Installed SLP longtube headers, X pipe with high flow cats. Cold air intake. Has the Cervini side exhaust. After flashing the computer ( program from Brenspeed) Ran the car for several weeks and tried to have it inspected. Emission test would not pass. Computer shows not ready for testing. Told to run vehicle for about 500 miles and have tested again. Had vehicle tested 2nd time with the same results Brenspeed claims it could be the position of the sensors on the long tube headers. Ford dealers telling my son the computer my be at fault Anyone ever had similar problems? What can we do to correct it.:headscratch:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know, is this important.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
If the rear O2s are turned off it may give a 'not ready' indication on the emmissions OBDII test.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
02 sensors

Turns out brenspeed did turn off sensors . They are to be sending another tune to turn them back on. They say it may bring up a catalist code because of high flow cats.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Turns out brenspeed did turn off sensors . They are to be sending another tune to turn them back on. They say it may bring up a catalist code because of high flow cats.
I didn't get a cat efficiency DTC (P0420 or P0430) when I was running the SLP h/f cats. Hope the new tune does the trick for you!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Tune

Installed new tune from brenspeed. Waiting to see results. Do you still run SLP LTs with high flow cats?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Installed new tune from brenspeed. Waiting to see results. Do you still run SLP LTs with high flow cats?
Welcome and what I did was have Tillman Speed make me an emission tune which is with the rear O2 sensors turned on. Normal performance tunes turn the rear O2s off. When inspection time comes around I jut down load the emission tune a day or so ahead because it need to have about 50mi. on it to reset the computer. If you have any question PM me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check engine light

Downloaded second tune to turn o2 sensors on. And you guess it check engine light came on. Checked codes found P0420,P0430
I understand these are Cat Effiency. codes. I see Pypes makes an OBD2 compliant Cat. Know anyone thats tried them?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Downloaded second tune to turn o2 sensors on. And you guess it check engine light came on. Checked codes found P0420,P0430
I understand these are Cat Effiency. codes. I see Pypes makes an OBD2 compliant Cat. Know anyone thats tried them?
The Pypes compact cats are pretty good from what I've heard. Whether or not that would be the magic bullet to help you pass, I don't know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OPDII Cats

Going to get an inspection sticker one way or another if you know what I mean. When we try those Cats Ill let you know how they work. Your car is awsome! Going to get Shelby Razors hopefully in time for Ford Nationals at Carlisle. Ill send some Pics. Do you go to Carlisle? Like to say thanks so far for all your help.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I would drive the car for a day or so and clear the codes and see what it does. It may be just your rear O2s are a little dirty and need to be self heated a couple times. You can also go to a garage that has the SnapOn tester and it can check to see if your going to pass. Thats what I did till we figured out what would work for mine.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Going to get an inspection sticker one way or another if you know what I mean. When we try those Cats Ill let you know how they work. Your car is awsome! Going to get Shelby Razors hopefully in time for Ford Nationals at Carlisle. Ill send some Pics. Do you go to Carlisle? Like to say thanks so far for all your help.:bigthumbsup
Thanks... I have been to Carlisle but didn't make it last year.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Here's some info from Doug at Bamachips regarding this issue:

"This is the reason why tunes may not pass a PCM code read emissions test.
EVERY tune made starting with a base file(SCT or Diablosport) prevents the engine from doing as many tests as it normally runs in order to speed up the processor. For you computer guys its kinda like speeding up the clock speed of the processor to gain more performance from it.
The Ford PCM runs a series of tests called " Readiness Tests" on certain systems and sensors, and these tests in turn simply tell the PCM if these items are performing up to par. If not, then a code is set. These are SOME of the tests that are disabled by the tune files, and this is why when you go to a testing facility with the tunes loaded you get a "System Readiness Test Invalid" or "Not run". Not because of the rear 02's being turned off, but because of the testing for the entire emissions readiness being disabled in the PCM.
Now for the big question, how do we pass testing?
The BEST answer is to simply return your car to the stock tune and the stock intake and drive it for around 50 miles or 20-30 minutes. This will set all of the "Readiness Monitors" and allow the car to pass with flying colors, as long as there are no other issues.
Now we all know that some of us this just isn't an option, everything from off-road pipes to CMVC delete plates to supercharger installations can prevent this. There are ways around this, but for legal reasons I will not publicly announce it. All I will say is that IF you've gone with a quality dealer or know of a custom tuning dealer to go to, then we know what to do to make your car pass the PCM readiness tests. Consult your custom tuning dealer for more information on this.
Also, these tests are different. I've had customers who have reported absolutely no issues going through their local testing facilities and others who report immediate concerns, like described above. Either way these tests can be passed with aftermarket components, but remember this is ONLY the tests that check for codes in the PCM. Tailpipe sniffer tests may pass, but I cannot guarantee this."

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Emission tune

Brenspeed sent an emission tune to turn on rear o2s. Check engine light came on. And got a Cat efficentcy code. Can a tune be made to prevent this?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Brenspeed sent an emission tune to turn on rear o2s. Check engine light came on. And got a Cat efficentcy code. Can a tune be made to prevent this?
I'm afraid those cats just flow too fast. The DTC is triggered by an excessive voltage difference between front and back O2 sensors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Emission testing

It looks like BBK short tuned headers, Stock cats, Cutting off H portion of pipe and installing Ford Racing X pipe. Hopefully this will pass and still give some extra Performance. I guess I should get another tune for this setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently having this emissions issue in MA. Test indicates "not ready" regarding O2 sensors, sensor heaters, and catalysts. Currently with an SCT tune installed by Taska Ford. I am supercharged with magnaflow x-pipe and hi flo cats. Steeda did my install. So i cant put stock intake and exhaust back on...they are long gone. I will put this in the hands of Taska and Steeda...and find out if the back sensors turn on and trip CEL, can i still test in MA??

Or I will register in FL.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.