Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 Mustang GT hesitation after cruising ?

1793 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  twobitcoder
I have a 2006 GT and had a problem since new. Ford Dealer says nothing wrong but there is ! Can anyone help?

After travelling on highway at moderate speed (55-70) for a length of time (20 mins plus) when I down shift to accelerate or even try to get on it in same gear I get momentary hestitaion where almost feels like engine has died before car takes off. Ford tech line said could be 'EGR' ?

What is EGR and what does it do ? Why would this cause hestitation before accelerating from a constant speed? ANyone else have this problem?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
EGR is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation":

Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out this TSB:

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/a...166476255-s197-mustang-tsb-list-tsb06_9_9.pdf

You described the problem in there almost exactly!
There is no EGR on a 2005+ Mustang GT. I'd almost guarantee it's the fuel pump.
I have a 2006 GT and had a problem since new. Ford Dealer says nothing wrong but there is ! Can anyone help?

After travelling on highway at moderate speed (55-70) for a length of time (20 mins plus) when I down shift to accelerate or even try to get on it in same gear I get momentary hestitaion where almost feels like engine has died before car takes off. Ford tech line said could be 'EGR' ?

What is EGR and what does it do ? Why would this cause hestitation before accelerating from a constant speed? ANyone else have this problem?

Had this same identical problem with the wifes 06GTVert. Had it fixed at dealer under the TSB quoted by stlwagon. No problems since.
This has happend to me once after a 5 min highway trip. Pulled off the highway to a stop light then I gave it some gas. As soon as it went into 2nd gear I thought the engine was going to shut off. in 4 months of ownership it only happend once about a month ago. Should i be worried? Warranty is up August 31. car only has 9k miles on it.
This has happend to me once after a 5 min highway trip. Pulled off the highway to a stop light then I gave it some gas. As soon as it went into 2nd gear I thought the engine was going to shut off. in 4 months of ownership it only happend once about a month ago. Should i be worried? Warranty is up August 31. car only has 9k miles on it.
I'd take it in and see what they say. However, they won't replace it unless they can duplicate the problem.
Thanks stlwagon for TSB. I'll go back into dealer with TSB and see what they say. Although I've had the problem since new I'm sure they'll blame it on the KB twin screw install.

Tornthorn - try cruisng at 55 on highway for a while (30 mins) and then drop into 3rd and try flooring it. That's when it happens to me most of the time. If you can make it happen again I'd get it in B4 your warranty is up.
G
Thanks stlwagon for TSB. I'll go back into dealer with TSB and see what they say. Although I've had the problem since new I'm sure they'll blame it on the KB twin screw install.

Tornthorn - try cruisng at 55 on highway for a while (30 mins) and then drop into 3rd and try flooring it. That's when it happens to me most of the time. If you can make it happen again I'd get it in B4 your warranty is up.

Good money is on the fuel pump. Same thing happened to our 06GT and we had it fixed under warranty. They didn't even try and duplicate the problem. I brought in the TSB and the replaced the pump no problem.

Your symptoms sound exactly like that issue.

Good luck!:bigthumbsup
G
+3 on the fuel pump. I have an 06GT.. fixed under warranty (replaced fuel pump after taking in the TSB). Here's my post on the symptoms from over a year ago.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-mustang-gt-tech/95923-dreaded-06-09-09-tsb.html
My 06 is doing the same thing. Although I'm outta warranty.
Anyone know where the fuel pump is located? I'm guessing in the tank. :so Is there a better replacement than the OEM?
My 06 is doing the same thing. Although I'm outta warranty.
Anyone know where the fuel pump is located? I'm guessing in the tank. :so Is there a better replacement than the OEM?
In the tank. You Access from under the back seat cushion. OEM is the best option unless you need race pumps.
Thanks stlwagon. Glad to know I don't have to drop the tank.
I haven't called a dealer yet but priced an aftermarket @ $279.00.
I can't believe that 3 different dealers couldn't find this problem.
Also never mentioned the TSB!
Any pointers on removing the rear cushion?
Any pointers on removing the rear cushion?
Grasp the front and pull back and up.
Thanks..:happydance::bigthumbsup
This has happened to me once or twice in 3 years, and always after a freeway cruise, never in street traffic. I think the computer is just not prepared for sudden acceleration after running the engine efficiently for a long ride. It does learn from your driving style. Hammering the pedal a few times should help wake it up a bit. If you lightly touch the pedal the CPU will think you're a soft driver.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.