Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I forget how to shift or are bushings bad ? A few times this year I (shudders) ground into 2nd gear on fast shifting. I drove the trusty Camry all winter, so, i may have regressed. Shifting "normally" there is no obvious problems. It should "notch" right in, right? I may be subconsciously pulling slightly to the left while pulling back.

Anyone else have similar problems ? This Hurst was installed at dealer and I have 12K on the clock. There were a few times that I had to loctite the two hex-head screws,but, that's all.
Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Hurst shifter is definitely "notchy" to say the least. I don't know if your bushings are bad, but when I first installed mine I had problems shifting too (enough to lose to a 350z, but we won't talk about that). I may take a second look at it to make sure i installed it correctly. My hex-head screws came loose too, but since tightening them haven't had the problem again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would check to see if the adjustment screw has backed out on the positive stop. That might prevent you from getting all the way into gear and could cause you to grind while going into gear. That happend to me, once adjusted it didnt happen anymore.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I am leaning that way.
I knew when I left the dealer with the car when I bought it that it was getting a new shifter. I would have gone with a Hurst if it was the billit one. It never came out until a month or so ago. I think the Pro 5.0 is one of the bests. I haven't tried the MGW but I don't like the handle.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I would check to see if the adjustment screw has backed out on the positive stop. That might prevent you from getting all the way into gear and could cause you to grind while going into gear. That happend to me, once adjusted it didnt happen anymore.
I'm not aware of any adjustment screw on the S197 Hurst.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am sorry you are correct, I was thinking of the 5.0 Hurst shifter. My bad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sure sounds to me like a possible worn 2nd gear syncro. Shift slow it's OK, shift to fast and you beat the syncro and there is a scratch. I don't know how the shifter goes out of adjustment sitting all winter. I have the same one and I don't drive my car from December to April and mine is perfect. Just a thought.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I'll take it out on a cruise Saturday down to Milwaukee and test it again at varied degrees of "abuse". If I believe it's not me, I'll take it in. This should be warranty work, right? Also, it's not as if I flog the car every time I run through the gears. I drive it as I believe it should be driven; not beaten.
I hope that it is just me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know I missed third gear a few times with mine. I don't know how I managed to do that. :(

The chrome stick came lose on me while driving before too. Loc-tite ftw ;)

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Thanks all. I'll take it out on a cruise Saturday down to Milwaukee and test it again at varied degrees of "abuse". If I believe it's not me, I'll take it in. This should be warranty work, right? Also, it's not as if I flog the car every time I run through the gears. I drive it as I believe it should be driven; not beaten.
I hope that it is just me.
If it's a synchro problem you should be covered.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I ran it Monday for the road trip test after re-tightening the screws benaeath the boot in an attempt to convince myself that it isn't the synchros. I paid attention to three different manners of acceleration.

1. Slow, normal acceleration & notches right in

2. Spirited brisk take-off & not so sure feeling

3. Fast with quick clutch action to the floor and GRIIIINNNND

Just feels like I have no clutch depressed. I will take it in when I do the airbag recall. I am bumming. I had the Hurst installed by a dealer,but, not the one I'm taking it to. I hope no problems.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a mod-friendly dealer that believes the synchros are the culprit from my explanation. Going in May 20th.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.