Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Im new to this site!

So my mustang GT 2006 [V8 4.6] just started recently to have this issue, I start the car and after few minutes running it; it sends the message "Low Oil Pressure" and starts to do a knocking sound.

If I turn it off and let it cool down few minutes before starting it again it goes well but as soon as few minutes pass the sound and message comes back.

Im thinking it could be the oil pump; if this is the case...do you guys recommend me getting a high pressure pump for my car?

what else could be? Im so scared for my baby!duh.gif

EDIT: Well, I unplugged both of the VCT solenoids and now its running smoothly and with no problems...but what could happen if I leave them unplugged forever? Im having a hard time getting them

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be a clogged oil pump pickup, or you could have spun a crank bearning.... hopefully not. Oil pump could also be the issue. best to remove the pan and inspect. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know man, I have heard motors with bearing problems and they have a constant knocking sound from start to finish; Im thinking since the sound comes and goes then it must be either an oil pump or a sensor

·
Registered
545 Posts
I know this is a stupid question, but..... you didnt mention if you checked the oil level. I know... I know... just making sure. :/

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you checked again if the level is ok? It happens me once to have a faulty oïl filter on a car and this can avoid a correct oïl flow inside the engine.

Try to put your car on jack stand and hear where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi, Im new to this site!

So my mustang GT 2006 [V8 4.6] just started recently to have this issue, I start the car and after few minutes running it; it sends the message "Low Oil Pressure" and starts to do a knocking sound.

If I turn it off and let it cool down few minutes before starting it again it goes well but as soon as few minutes pass the sound and message comes back.

Im thinking it could be the oil pump; if this is the case...do you guys recommend me getting a high pressure pump for my car?

what else could be? Im so scared for my baby!duh.gif

Hey Daydreamer,

Although everyone in here has an extremely valid point, especially when you mention a knock and a low oil pressure light together at the same time, since the knock is not constant, I wouldn't go too drastic just yet and I would inspect your oil pump/ pickup.

From my experiences, if you spun a bearing or if the motor is letting go, you would have those issues constantly and not on and off.

If you are going to be replacing the oil pump, I would definitely upgrade to something like the Ford Racing High Volume Oil Pump.

Hope this helps, keep us updated, and good luck!

-Will

·
Registered
50 Posts
what oil filter did you use? hopefully a motorcraft

these motors have been known to eat the thrust bearing which will cause the same symptoms you are describing.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Is the noise coming from the bottom or the top of the engine? Just thinking if it coming from the top near the front of the valve covers, it might a cam phaser going bad. YouTube "knocking cam phaser, or 4.6 cam phaser" and you should hear a good example of what this sounds like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you checked again if the level is ok? It happens me once to have a faulty oïl filter on a car and this can avoid a correct oïl flow inside the engine.

Try to put your car on jack stand and hear where the noise is coming from.
well apparently it needs like half a liter to get to the max!

Hey Daydreamer,

Although everyone in here has an extremely valid point, especially when you mention a knock and a low oil pressure light together at the same time, since the knock is not constant, I wouldn't go too drastic just yet and I would inspect your oil pump/ pickup.

From my experiences, if you spun a bearing or if the motor is letting go, you would have those issues constantly and not on and off.

If you are going to be replacing the oil pump, I would definitely upgrade to something like the Ford Racing High Volume Oil Pump.

Hope this helps, keep us updated, and good luck!

-Will
WELL, GREAT NEWS!
I asked 3 mech and they told all me the same thing; since the sound is not coming from the start then it must be a failing oil pump or a damaged sensor!

what oil filter did you use? hopefully a motorcraft

these motors have been known to eat the thrust bearing which will cause the same symptoms you are describing.
I used quaker, did I goofed up?

Is the noise coming from the bottom or the top of the engine? Just thinking if it coming from the top near the front of the valve covers, it might a cam phaser going bad. YouTube "knocking cam phaser, or 4.6 cam phaser" and you should hear a good example of what this sounds like.
sounds like an expensive fixfacepalm2.gif

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Cam phaser fix not that big a deal really if that is what it is. Much easier and cheaper than a oil pump or bottom end bearings.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
WELL, GREAT NEWS!
I asked 3 mech and they told all me the same thing; since the sound is not coming from the start then it must be a failing oil pump or a damaged sensor!
That is great Daydreamer,

Let us know how it goes, keep us updated!

I would highly recommend having a trusted mechanic diagnose it for you and then go from there, although my intuition is leaning me towards a failing oil pump.

Let me know if you need anything!

-Will

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 06 GT. Had a place change my oil/filter and shortly after had a lifter type noise. Took it to Ford and it ended up being the WRONG filter. Something to do with pressure.... filter had a valve or something that reduced the oil pressure, preventing it from reaching the top of the engine causing valve train clatter. They changed the oil/filter and it never happened again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cam phaser fix not that big a deal really if that is what it is. Much easier and cheaper than a oil pump or bottom end bearings.

That is great Daydreamer,

Let us know how it goes, keep us updated!

I would highly recommend having a trusted mechanic diagnose it for you and then go from there, although my intuition is leaning me towards a failing oil pump.

Let me know if you need anything!

-Will
thanks!:handshake

if this just started after your oil change, then yes put a motorcraft filter on and see if it changes.
I actually changed the oil because of the sound:heha:

I had a similar problem with my 06 GT. Had a place change my oil/filter and shortly after had a lifter type noise. Took it to Ford and it ended up being the WRONG filter. Something to do with pressure.... filter had a valve or something that reduced the oil pressure, preventing it from reaching the top of the engine causing valve train clatter. They changed the oil/filter and it never happened again.
a friend told me this, when I changed the oil I changed the filter too!
I cant remember which one I used but I used one with a valve exactly because of this...I will do my research on this because I feel like I used the wrong one whistling.gif

EDIT: I used a Bosch 3410, did I goofed up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: it is not the oil pump sadly since the oil pressure remains steadly on the board always even if the message "low oil pressure" is showingfacepalm2.gif

On another hand I added some bardhal 2 to my oil to see if the oil I used was too thin and it actually helped a bit, the car is more silent and it can run up to 40 minutes without doing that sound.

what else could be?
my motor oil is coming clean(no metal bits or dirt clouds on it) and I noticed that when my car is leaning backwards it triggers the sound too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you put a manual gauge to see what actual oil pressure is? The phasers need a minimum of 12 psi to function properly. Oil pressure to the phaser is half of what is read at the filter housing. that would be my next step. I wouldn't put no more magic pookey in it, it will hurt more than help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you put a manual gauge to see what actual oil pressure is? The phasers need a minimum of 12 psi to function properly. Oil pressure to the phaser is half of what is read at the filter housing. that would be my next step. I wouldn't put no more magic pookey in it, it will hurt more than help.
I took it to 3 mechs and they all did, they all said it was ok but then it dropped

on other hand

*Slot Machine Jackpot Win Sound Effect*

after hours and hours of research I finally nailed what it is...it is the vct solenoids and probably my cam phaser needs some locks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts