Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some new wheels today for a car I haven't got yet and several hours after the purchase I remembered this vehicle has a TPMS system (this will be the first vehicle I have ever had with this on it). Well, what will I have to do to put new wheels on the car with this system in place? Is it transferrable to the new wheels? Can it be disabled/turned off? Sorry for the questions that I am sure have been asked before.....I did try and search the topic but came up empty. Anyway, thank you for any assistance/enlightenment you can provide.

Andy

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You can get the senors from your stock wheels put on your new wheels but you will need to buy new mounting bands . Or you can get new sensors for the new rims but if you do that the new sensors will have to be programmed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
tpms system = pain in the ass it is the worst thing about 07 and up mustangs the 05 and 06 did not have this feature they are the lucky ones.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply angelo....do you know what the replacement bands cost? My dealer agreed to swap the wheels for me but I don't think that meant providing new bands as well.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get the bands @ American Muscle for about $15.00 each instead of about $65 @ a dealership.
Thanks for the info.....was plannin on ordering the Pypes Violators from them so might as well throw in a set of 4 bands:gringreen.....

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I can't understand why all you guys hate the TPMS so much. Already, twice, it has let me know that I have a screw in a tire and I was able to get it fixed before I had any more troubles with it.

If it is going off too often, maybe it needs to be reprogrammed to activate later. Mine will go off when a tire has dropped something near 10 psi, which is fine with me.

Frank

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can't understand why all you guys hate the TPMS so much. Already, twice, it has let me know that I have a screw in a tire and I was able to get it fixed before I had any more troubles with it.

If it is going off too often, maybe it needs to be reprogrammed to activate later. Mine will go off when a tire has dropped something near 10 psi, which is fine with me.

Frank
I personally like having it when driving. The only reason I don't like it is because it causes more hassels when you change the wheels. Either live with the warning light on the dash, or spend more money and time to put them in (after already spending a pretty penny on the wheels and tires).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just went thru this nightmare...its not that I don't like the system, its just more complicated and expensive to change out the wheels.

If you plan on keeping your stockers around in the garage, then you will not have an issue with the codes going off until (i know this sounds crazy) you are about 40 miles from home...but as soon as you return and park near the sensors on your stockers it will reset the default and all is ok. If you take the sensors out and do not have them reinstalled, then everytime you start the car you have to hit the reset button to get rid of the default code and the little flat tire on the dash NEVER goes out.

I decided that I no longer could use the stockers after installing bigger brakes and sold them. I removed the sensors from wheels prior at an additional expense of $60. The bands in the stockers are not reusable, since they are crimped together. Then I had to pay to have them installed in my new wheels since I didn't do it when I bought them.

Its a long story, but I ended up with an extra set of the American Muscle Bands and brackets that I will sell for $50 plus ship or make me an offer...send a PM if interested.

Dave

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
One of the reasons I am not changing rims this year. Not the only one , but this made my mind up for me. Next time I talk to JDM I am going to ask him if he can get rid of this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a bad experience with the TPS also. I don't like the fact thay the sensors mount on bands. I wonder if it would be less expensive and easier to install if they mounted to the valves?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a bad experience with the TPS also. I don't like the fact thay the sensors mount on bands. I wonder if it would be less expensive and easier to install if they mounted to the valves?
Well, I started this thread and I have gotten some really good info. However, I called my dealer as he offered to put the new wheels on free when the car arrived and I asked him about the TPMS. He said the system is mounted in the valve stem and it was a piece of cake to move it to the new wheels.....HMMMMMMMMMM.

I imagine I will get a call back from him saying that he was wrong and that the bands will have to be replaced......if I here anything further I will be sure and post. Who knows....maybe they made a change to the 08s.....yeh right....I never get that lucky.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I started this thread and I have gotten some really good info. However, I called my dealer as he offered to put the new wheels on free when the car arrived and I asked him about the TPMS. He said the system is mounted in the valve stem and it was a piece of cake to move it to the new wheels.....HMMMMMMMMMM.

I imagine I will get a call back from him saying that he was wrong and that the bands will have to be replaced......if I here anything further I will be sure and post. Who knows....maybe they made a change to the 08s.....yeh right....I never get that lucky.
Well, just heard back from the dealer after he spoke with his service manager. They said the TPMS is indeed in the valve stem for 08s at least and they need to see the wheels to determine if they can transfer the TPMS to the new wheels without damaging the sensors.

Maybe some Good News!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Any pics. I have only seen the ones that use the bands.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My '08 had the bands. I have heard that GM (yeah, THAT one) uses the stem mounted sensors.

Discount tires had the bands in stock and put them on my new wheels. It was less than dealer prices, but more than it should have been.

Frank

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My '08 had the bands. I have heard that GM (yeah, THAT one) uses the stem mounted sensors.

Discount tires had the bands in stock and put them on my new wheels. It was less than dealer prices, but more than it should have been.

Frank
I wonder why the service manager and the salesman would say that the sensors are valve stem mounted instead of band mounted? I guess I will have to call them again tomorrow and have them make damn sure they know what they are talking about.

I can get the bands, if needed, from American Muscle for about $17 each.....which seems awful high for a friggin large hose clamp. Can't imagine how a dealer can charge the prices they do for those bands. If all there is to it is a hose clamp (can any of you clarify???) then I can probably find the right size hose clamp through where I work for about $5 each or less.

I will let you all know how this turns out. Nothin is ever easy!:nogrinner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.