Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know what approx temperature the OEM thermostat opens at? Today was a fairly warm day (101F), but I noticed my temp gauge was reading between 215 - 220F. When T-stat does open, it will drop down, but not below 190-195F. I'm using the PLX DM100 OBDII 32-sensor module which reads off the PCM realtime. Seems high.. so not sure if T-stat gets stuck or if that is a normal temp range. Coolant level is fine. Thx.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I don’t know what it is for sure but the temps you are getting are perfectly normal for current generation, all aluminum high performance motors. Most aluminum motors will have higher thermal efficiency when running “hot” coolant temps.

I have worked with race motors that have the cooling system pressurized to 32psi+ so they can run up to 260deg coolant temps without boiling.

Modern Superbike motors run at about 195-200deg and the cooling fans are not set to come on till 225deg. These are off the showroom floor motors with noise and in some cases gas emissions that make just under 100hp/litre and come with a warranty. If you ever want to see serious “go fast” technology check out some of the bike motors, they are amazing.

My big Ducati motor makes 9 more hp when you run it at 200deg opposed to 180.

I would not be concerned with your coolant temps. To quote a famous engine builder I know "It's not a problem till it boils out of the radiator":D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posed this question to a Ford Tech and received the following response. Posting here as FYI for others:

The 4.6L 3v thermostat should start to open at about 175*-182* F but won't be fully open until 202* F. The cooling fan should cycle on at about 208*-212* F. If you had a cooling system overtemperature fault, DTC P0217 should set. 215* F operating temperature is pretty typical, and does not indicate a problem.
Cooling fan operation is what actually controls engine temperature since it is responsible for pulling air through the radiator core. Since the fan doesn't come on until engine temperatures are above 200* F, coolant temperautre will roughly correspond.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.