Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting time for me to replace my plugs and wires and am having a hard time finding a replacement set that is made specifically for my car. I can find universal sets but would rather have a custom set if I can find them. I was just wondering if any of you know what brand makes them and where I might be able to find them. TIA

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The reason you can't find plug wires for it is because...............wait for it.............almost there..............IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY.:winks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait... are you saying they don't have plug wires at all? I have never looked to see, but I just figured all cars have them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, do you just replace the plugs or do you have to replace something else too? I am a girl obviously, but I have always helped my dad work on cars and stuff so I know enough to get by, but I usually let my dad fix my cars for me... and he doesn't know a lot about the newer cars.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So, do you just replace the plugs or do you have to replace something else too? I am a girl obviously, but I have always helped my dad work on cars and stuff so I know enough to get by, but I usually let my dad fix my cars for me... and he doesn't know a lot about the newer cars.
sure mustangsalli,,i have replaced everything in the car,,,here is a video
YouTube - 05 Mustang turbo.mp4

btw there is nothing wrong with asking questions

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Wait... are you saying they don't have plug wires at all? I have never looked to see, but I just figured all cars have them.
Zero plug wires. The coils plug right into the spark plugs.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
It is getting time for me to replace my plugs and wires and am having a hard time finding a replacement set that is made specifically for my car. I can find universal sets but would rather have a custom set if I can find them. I was just wondering if any of you know what brand makes them and where I might be able to find them. TIA
Why are you replacing your plugs ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only problem I had was my front tires wore really bad on the inside b/c the camber (sp?) was way off and my dad had to bore the bolt holes into an oval shape so they do do the alignment b/c those cars aren't made so you can adjust it...you can only adjust the tow in. I didn't wreck it or hit any bumps hard or anything. It was like that from the factory. But other than that...nothing really.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, fifteen posts and no one mentions the major issue with plugs. . .

In 2005 Ford used a two piece plug that is prone to breaking upon removal - even if you do everything correctly. There is a very specific bulletin issued by ford on the removal process. I highly suggest you do your research on changing the plugs. If you break a plug you MUST use a special tap and die tool to remove plug. More than one person has been forced to take their heads off and have the dealer remove the plug. The fact you have 100,000 miles on the motor tells me the change is going to be a *****. Not to be a smart @ss, but the fact you believed their were plug wires tells me you are going to bite off way more than you can chew on this one with your current level of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wow, fifteen posts and no one mentions the major issue with plugs. . .

In 2005 Ford used a two piece plug that is prone to breaking upon removal - even if you do everything correctly. There is a very specific bulletin issued by ford on the removal process. I highly suggest you do your research on changing the plugs. If you break a plug you MUST use a special tap and die tool to remove plug. More than one person has been forced to take their heads off and have the dealer remove the plug. The fact you have 100,000 miles on the motor tells me the change is going to be a *****. Not to be a smart @ss, but the fact you believed their were plug wires tells me you are going to bite off way more than you can chew on this one with your current level of knowledge.

plus if you have the dealership do it and they break any of them off they will half to replace it :bigthumbsup i did mine at 45,000 and switched to the champions, no break off's for me. do a thread search on how to remove the plugs. 100,000 mi without changing your plugs you should take it to the dealer to have them deal with it and not worry about it. ;)

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
The only problem I had was my front tires wore really bad on the inside b/c the camber (sp?) was way off and my dad had to bore the bolt holes into an oval shape so they do do the alignment b/c those cars aren't made so you can adjust it...you can only adjust the tow in. I didn't wreck it or hit any bumps hard or anything. It was like that from the factory. But other than that...nothing really.
100k and only one problem is not bad at all. Make sure you follow the plug removal in the TSB section
so they don't break while removing them. Here's the the TSB for the F-150 but it also applies to your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First of all, I am not the one going to be changing them. however I am the one buying what needs to be bought. And I had never looked under my hood really except to check the oil and never paid attention to whether or not there were plug wires b/c there was really no need for it. So, I do know about the plugs breaking off and I bought the one piece plugs for this time around. And if you take it a dealer you also pay out the a$$!!!!! So, I will be having my very trusty dad or husband to do it. They both know what they are doing. When I mentioned to my dad about the plug wires he already knew it didn't have any b/c he is the one I always have to work on it.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Good luck with changing out the plugs. just make sure you warm up the car before doing it.

Let us know how you make out, and how the plugs look.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.