Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 Mustang GT possible transmission issue

581 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Praztek
A little over 96,000 mi and pretty much no major repairs.

Recently noticed under light acceleration, pushing in the clutch there is what would sound like taking a brick and scrape across the cement for a second.

There is throttle hesitation and a roaring sound.

It's currently at the dealership and they are recommending dropping the transmission to investigate.

Thoughts or someone with a similar experience?

Thanks in advance
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
maybe the clutch is worn out? 96K is a little low for the clutch to be done, but if the clutch was slipped a lot, it could be worn out
Reactions: Cobrajet67
I agree with the dealership on this one. No way to really tell what is wrong until you pull the transmission.
Reactions: Cobrajet67
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Glad to see you’re already receiving advice.
Thanks all, will post back here once they call me on their diagnosis.(y)
If it's the original clutch, it's probably due for replacement. That throttle hesitation and roaring sound could be caused by the friction plate slipping.
A little over 96,000 mi and pretty much no major repairs.

Recently noticed under light acceleration, pushing in the clutch there is what would sound like taking a brick and scrape across the cement for a second.

There is throttle hesitation and a roaring sound.

It's currently at the dealership and they are recommending dropping the transmission to investigate.

Thoughts or someone with a similar experience?

Thanks in advance
Being that it's a GT, 96k miles definitely seems like a possible worn clutch or other clutch related issue.
Reactions: crjackson
The update is in from the dealership.

New clutch assembly, pressure plate, flywheel and pilot bearing.

Update: 1/23/2023
Well, I picked up the vehicle after all said repairs were completed. During the short drive home , realized the exact same issue is still there. I'm not even sure they even took it for a test drive. I will be taking it back tomorrow and see where we go from here.
Is it hard to shift at all, or just the grinding noise?
I would be raising hell at the service counter and my voice would be heard throughout the dealership. I would also be talking to the GM about refunding all the labor charges on that repair. They had you spend all that $ and they didn't even diagnose the issue properly before telling you that was the fix. Then to add insult to injury they tried to brush it off by not telling you that the problem wasn't fixed or not even testing it to see if their "repair" fixed it. That's complete bs and this is exactly why no one trusts shops and especially dealers to work on their cars. Call the Ford 800 # if they don't cooperate and I'd call your bank to dispute the labor charges since you were deceived.
The update is in from the dealership.

New clutch assembly, pressure plate, flywheel and pilot bearing.

Update: 1/23/2023
Well, I picked up the vehicle after all said repairs were completed. During the short drive home , realized the exact same issue is still there. I'm not even sure they even took it for a test drive. I will be taking it back tomorrow and see where we go from here.
Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
The shifts are smooth, just the grinding noise and the strange throttle hesitation.

Is it hard to shift at all, or just the grinding noise?
I would be raising hell at the service counter and my voice would be heard throughout the dealership. I would also be talking to the GM about refunding all the labor charges on that repair. They had you spend all that $ and they didn't even diagnose the issue properly before telling you that was the fix. Then to add insult to injury they tried to brush it off by not telling you that the problem wasn't fixed or not even testing it to see if their "repair" fixed it. That's complete bs and this is exactly why no one trusts shops and especially dealers to work on their cars. Call the Ford 800 # if they don't cooperate and I'd call your bank to dispute the labor charges since you were deceived.

Thanks, and I'll be doing just that this morning.
Looks like we're at the step of them tearing the transmission apart and once again seeing if parts can be replaced if they are available or finding a used or remanufactured transmission.
Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
1 - 12 of 12 Posts