Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out my rotors and pads over the winter. They stop fine and all, however with the warmer weather I've been riding with the top down and have noticed a clicking or ticking noise coming from the rear brakes -- at least it seems like the rear brakes. And it comes from both sides.

Note that I have slotted and dimpled Granatelli rotors and Hawk pads.

YouTube - 2006 Mustang GT rear brake noise

Appreciate any help before I pull apart the brakes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea. Think it could just be from the rotor design?
I'm wondering the same, but I've never heard of this with slotted / dimpled rotors.

Next thought is I put the brakes back together wrong. Not a whole lot of parts, but the rears do have the e-brake mechanism. I may pull the brakes apart and carefully follow my Ford service CD.

The noise is pretty darn loud. I need to figure this out :headscratch:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
It looks like the pad is backwards or am I seeing things?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I'm wondering the same, but I've never heard of this with slotted / dimpled rotors.

Next thought is I put the brakes back together wrong. Not a whole lot of parts, but the rears do have the e-brake mechanism. I may pull the brakes apart and carefully follow my Ford service CD.

The noise is pretty darn loud. I need to figure this out :headscratch:
Agree... That certainly doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
That is for sure.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
if it is the rear brakes, the clicking probably has something to do with the emergency brake mechanism. I have never had the rear brakes off of my GT, so I am not sure what it all looks like.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you google "slotted and drilled rotors and noise" you'll find some people saying they can be noisey (not Mustang specific). Note that Granatelli slots and dimples their rotors (they don't drill all the way thru).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you google "slotted and drilled rotors and noise" you'll find some people saying they can be noisey (not Mustang specific). Note that Granatelli slots and dimples their rotors (they don't drill all the way thru).
That said, fronts don't make this noise.

I have the brakes apart. I ran the car with the rear brakes off -- no noise, so it is the in fact the brakes.

I'm using the anti-squeek silicone on the outside of the pads, and brake lubricant everywhere metal touches metal (pad edges to calipers). Hope this solves it, will report back when done.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved. It was the slotted and drilled Granatelli brake rotors. They are off the car and the stockers are back on -- no noise.

BTW - for anyone considering upgrading rotors in stock size, don't bother. Braking is not noticeably improved.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wow, amazing that they made such a racket... talk about a design flaw! Wonder if they all do that...? Seems like they'd get a bad rep pretty fast if that was the case.

~HA

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
i have cross drilled on my car and the back makes a brake pad squeak at low speed braking and its done that since i got the pads and rotors installed so i know nothing is worn down

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Granatelli tells me that all drilled and slotted rotors make these noises. They say it is the air escaping the rotor. Further, they say they have installed Brembos on Mustangs and heard the same noises.

I say BS, never heard of this on the forums. If you have slotted and drilled would appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Update:

Granatelli tells me that all drilled and slotted rotors make these noises. They say it is the air escaping the rotor. Further, they say they have installed Brembos on Mustangs and heard the same noises.

I say BS, never heard of this on the forums. If you have slotted and drilled would appreciate your input.
Mine are only slotted and are noise-free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.