Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey this is weird after getting my frp 410 gears installed.i drove close to 1k miles then changed my oil in the rear end.switched from what ever brand my mechanic used to some high dollar amsoil and a friction additive.and now i have a slight roar.sounds allmost like tire noise.any ideas?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any ideas! i think he had to mess with somthing but why would he.. i was just paying 30 dollars to change the oil.i dont know what to do.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Are you sure he used the additive. Did you do a proper break in on the gears?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm curious as to what answers you may get as I also have 4:10 gears that were quiet until I changed the oil to Royal Purple + friction modifier and now have a slight gear whine noise between 55-50 mph. I wonder if I should go back to what ever ford put in the differential originally?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Conventional gear lube! It does a better job of sticking to the parts and runs a heck of a lot quieter. I'll never run synthetic again in a rear axle!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang that sucks i spent 50 bucks on the oil and 30 for labor.sounds like i wasted that money. and yea bkid i did a 1k brake inn then had it changed and now have a roar there was no roar before. used amsoil slip lock additive which is suppose to be the same as fords.amsoil is suppose to be some of if not the best money can buy i am pissed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey stlwagon do you think i should change it right away to conv oil .or can i waite a while and switch later down the road and it will quiten it down or will it be to late later.would like to get atleast a little out of the money i spent on the sythic.why in the hell does ford say only use sythic oil only and conv oil works better

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You can wait. You're not hurting anything. Keep in mind that I'm not running a Ford rear-end anymore either.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Did the mechanic check your pionion flange and the settings on the gears. Also what kind of gears did you go with? Does it roar when you let off the gas or when you hit the gas?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know bkid i was not there but he said he checked everything while the cover was off and everything was right on.and then put the cover back on and added a little over 2 quarts of amsoil gear oil and 1 bottle of slip lock amsoil friction addtive.it makes the noise when i am geting on the gas mainliy but it also roars a little just coasting but gets just a little louder when i push the gas and then qiutes back down a little when i let back off.it mainly strarts at arround 2k+ rpms.its not bad sounds like tire noise really kinda like my truck with mud tires on it but not that loud.but they where quite before the oil change if i would have known this was going to happen i would have saved my time and money and not changed it:so.i just find it weird that a diff brand of oil causes what most people say can only happen because of a bad install job.which is not the case whith mine.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I've used RP in the rear on several cars with no noise. I would take it back to the mechanic though and tell him the problem and for him to check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.