Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on installing the UCA. We tried to remove the tank but we rounded the bolts. So now we are thinking about taking off the shocks and sway bar in order to drop the rear end down a little out of the way. Trying to do this without removing the gas tank. BTW they are CHE arms.:headscratch:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
This is the same problem I had. CHE recommends you remove the gas tank to get the arm and brace out. This is unnecessary. See if you can slip a wrench or breaker bar on the UCA bolt that has the arm attached to the brace. It will slip out, then you can remove the other bolt and complete the swap. Keep that axle supported if/when you remove the arm and shock bolts. Removing the swaybar will give you more room to work with as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, we just completed the UCA install, without removing the sway bars or the gas tank straps. It took some work, we are the kings of UCA's, haha....

it all went smooth, were are doing the LCA now, then going for our test drive!
I will post pics when were are done

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Make sure you keep that axle loaded when you torque everything. Wouldn't want any unnecessary clunking going on back there.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I need some help on installing the UCA. We tried to remove the tank but we rounded the bolts. So now we are thinking about taking off the shocks and sway bar in order to drop the rear end down a little out of the way. Trying to do this without removing the gas tank. BTW they are CHE arms.:headscratch:
What did you use on those bolts??

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we used the t-50 and about a foot of extentions. we rounded it out almost entirely, before giving up on the gas tank drop.

we then just removed the stock UCA while turning the bracket slightly to free the bolt holding it to the back of the bracket. (opposite of the girdle).

We didnt use any of the replacement bolts, but all of the of the nuts needed to be replaced because of the rubber type seal that they run, that stretch to the bolts. Im going to bring back the bolts when the ford dealer opens.

thanks for the helps, we are in the process of uploading pics of the before and after and the burnout testdrive! it was the best ever.... next mod, Tires

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
we used the t-50 and about a foot of extentions. we rounded it out almost entirely, before giving up on the gas tank drop.

we then just removed the stock UCA while turning the bracket slightly to free the bolt holding it to the back of the bracket. (opposite of the girdle).

We didnt use any of the replacement bolts, but all of the of the nuts needed to be replaced because of the rubber type seal that they run, that stretch to the bolts. Im going to bring back the bolts when the ford dealer opens.

thanks for the helps, we are in the process of uploading pics of the before and after and the burnout testdrive! it was the best ever.... next mod, Tires
That's weird... Did you have it on a lift or jackstands?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we used jack stands, 4 of them, plus a floor jack.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I here that!

its do-able with jackstands, if you have the right tools, and a few set of hands. the hardest part was figuring out what to do. we were either going to drop to rear suspension, or figure out some way of pulling the bracket out. then it hit me to try switch the UCA without doing anything to either, and it worked perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the nice end result......!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stick! If my tires weren't bad enough before that, they definitely need replacing now. I burned off about 500 miles... oh yeah!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I here that!

its do-able with jackstands, if you have the right tools, and a few set of hands. the hardest part was figuring out what to do. we were either going to drop to rear suspension, or figure out some way of pulling the bracket out. then it hit me to try switch the UCA without doing anything to either, and it worked perfectly.
Imagine doing it by yourself and actually lowering the gas tank that was almost full. That was a real pain.

I may email CHE about their instructions. They are a bit misleading IMO.

Great job on the UCA. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Imagine doing it by yourself and actually lowering the gas tank that was almost full. That was a real pain.

I may email CHE about their instructions. They are a bit misleading IMO.

Great job on the UCA. :bigthumbsup
+1 on the job well done

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was able to follow the CHE instructions. Did it by myself with no air tools and only a T-45 bit! I thought it was pretty well thought out, did it in a couple hours.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
How come the back seat has to be removed? Is that to change the UCA bracket or hanger? :headscratch: Does it help do burnouts too? :scratchchin

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
How come the back seat has to be removed? Is that to change the UCA bracket or hanger? :headscratch: Does it help do burnouts too? :scratchchin
Yes if you are changing the mount which is a stamped steel piece. The after market pieces are a lot stronger but not necessary for just street fun. If you planning on a lot of track time then I would change it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts