Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? It seems like I can literally see my gas gauge going down. I've noticed that previously, my car shifted out of 1st at around 20mph, then if I jumped on it around 30-40 it had some amazing pull/torque/acceleration, almost scarey and then, there was always a "cruise" to it, on the freeway and even around town. I've driven it to Vegas (which is about 300 miles from me) and could get there with about three quarters of a tank, pretty darn good gas mileage for a V8, I always thought. I had the dealership rebuild it, because occasionally it would clunk into gear or slip slightly and it was still under warranty. But now, it almost seems like the gear ratios are different? Not even sure if that's possible??? Or, whether it could be a computer issue (adjustment needed?) Or, if there are different generic aftermarket parts they could have used that would be slightly different? Or, different enough to make a difference? It seems like 1st shifts to 2nd later now, at around 30mph, and 2nd and 3rd happen real quick. If I jump on it, the car doesn't accelerate as fast and red lines sooner...doesn't quite get that nice "pull" that it had. And, on the freeway it doesn't really seem like it's cruising at all. It was happy at 80mhp before,...just cruising (not that I should be driving 80). But now, it's like it never gets to that last gear and I have to keep on the gas constantly or it decelerates much quicker than previously. It also seems like the RPM's stay slightly higher (not 100 % sure though), if so, maybe that's where the gas is going... It's seems like it shifts through all the gears quickly (though, unlike before), like they're more evenly spaced...and the RPMs don't drop down as much. I've always been pretty in tune with my cars so I noticed the slightest changes but it just isn't driving the same. I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
not sure if newer models have kickdown cables but if so get it adjusted my car used to shift into overdrive at like 30mph... not sure how they work but they can affect gas milege a lot and if left un adjusted can fry the trans

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks I'll have that checked. Now that you mention it my car was pretty much in overdrive most of the time too. It isn't now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts