Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Mustang GT is 3 years old with low mileage although I do store it during the winter for about 6 months. The dealer says the automatic transmission needs the fluid changed also the coolant needs changed and the fuel injectors need cleaning so am I being ripped off? I have people telling me yes and others no that they are just hard up for business. I am taking it in this Wednesday so yes or no.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Do you have your manual? the recommended maintenance is in there.

P

·
0 Posts
i work in a dealership and i would say yes. a car that is not used as much needs extra servicing. fluids like oil and trans fluid can get condensation build up while being stored. and if you use fuel stabilizer in your fuel system, fuel still can get a bit stale and gum and varnishes can build up in your injectors and fuel system. extra service and cleaning is what i do to my own car. if you can do some of it yourself it would save you some cash. some might say it's not necessary but i won't take that chance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If in the winter you are starting up the car and letting it run a while you should'nt have any problems. I store my car each winter as well. I have an 07 with 4000 miles and do change the oil more often due to not driving but all the other service seems a little much. You can check the fluids to see what kind of condition they are in and know if you need to have them changed.

i work in a dealership and i would say yes. a car that is not used as much needs extra servicing. fluids like oil and trans fluid can get condensation build up while being stored. and if you use fuel stabilizer in your fuel system, fuel still can get a bit stale and gum and varnishes can build up in your injectors and fuel system. extra service and cleaning is what i do to my own car. if you can do some of it yourself it would save you some cash. some might say it's not necessary but i won't take that chance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If in the winter you are starting up the car and letting it run a while you should'nt have any problems. I store my car each winter as well. I have an 07 with 4000 miles and do change the oil more often due to not driving but all the other service seems a little much. You can check the fluids to see what kind of condition they are in and know if you need to have them changed.
I am out of town in Florida so the car is covered and no one is here that I will give the keys to. My 03 Mustang GT convertible is in the garage in Florida and last year is was running rough. I did have all of the fluids changed and also the injectors cleaned since I bought it used and it has almost 50,000 miles with the original fuel filter. I still have a problem with it missing after cleaning the injectors so I changed the plugs and wires. Now it will still act up so this year I debating on putting Accell Super Coils or changing the injectors. Any ideas on this also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent the money so I guess it is better to spend the money on keeping everything running with clean fluids. My dad would change the coolant every year and oil changes we did every 1,000 miles for his truck he used in his work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.