Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '06 GT with 5 spd. I am not thrilled with the stock plastic shift knob and would like to install a black Hurst "billiard ball" (Part #163-0114) on the stock shift mechanism. The new piece is spec'ed at 12MM x 1.75 MM. I am assuming that 12MM refers to the thread depth and 1.75MM refers to the thread width. It comes with a stop nut so you can tighten on shaft. Has anyone atttempted to install one of these? If so, was it an easy swap? It seems like the stock shift knob is somehow connected to the boot to keep it in place? Whenever I turn the knob, the boot turns with it. Any suggestions/input?

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you just want the ball MRT sells a bunch for the 05.

The stock knob has a groove the boot kind of clips into. Either pop the boot loose from the console and turn the knob off. Or just get a small flat head in there and pop the boot free from the knob.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
New thread size for 05-06. O4 and earlier shift knobs will not work.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
5twenty said:
New thread size for 05-06. O4 and earlier shift knobs will not work.
Well ofcourse they wouldn't... damnit

·
Registered
9 Posts
At the base of the boot, gently squeeze in the two long sides. (The rectangular frame is plastic with clips that secure it to the console.) The boot will then detach easily from the console, then pull the boot up over the shift knob so it is inside out. The boot is attached to the shift knob with a thick round rubber band that holds the vinyl inside a groove. Just work it loose with a screwdriver to separate it from the knob, and then you can unscrew the knob. You can also find these instructions on the redlinegoods.com website. I replaced my boot with theirs last weekend. It came off easily using that method......

·
Registered
165 Posts
The boot can be taken off by either means popping the base out of the console or just pushing down on the boot just below the knob. A knob that fits the last body style Mustang will not fit on the 05 they changed the thread size. It is still a 12mm but the thread is a closer pitch (distance between the thread points). Replacing the stock shift knob with a solid ball definately makes the shifter feel firmer. Here's mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
FYI, a M12 X 1.75 thread is 12mm basic diameter (OD of a male thread), and 1.75mm per thread. Unlike Unified threads which are described by number of threads per inch (e.g., 1/4-20 is 20 threads per inch), pitch is used in metric threads (1.75mm per thread). If one were to express this thread in inch units, it would be ".472-14.5". Or, a little bit smaller and a little bit finer than a 1/2-13 thread.

·
Registered
394 Posts
WOW! You really ARE Rainman!

rainman said:
FYI, a M12 X 1.75 thread is 12mm basic diameter (OD of a male thread), and 1.75mm per thread. Unlike Unified threads which are described by number of threads per inch (e.g., 1/4-20 is 20 threads per inch), pitch is used in metric threads (1.75mm per thread). If one were to express this thread in inch units, it would be ".472-14.5". Or, a little bit smaller and a little bit finer than a 1/2-13 thread.
Thanks, Bill Nye the Science guy! j/k:wavey

That was pretty detailed, are you a machinist? I mean, my answer would have been WAY less helpful: "Yep, it fits!" or "Nope, won't work!" I am in awe. :tongue

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I are a machinist.

·
Registered
261 Posts
how bout changing the boot to. anyone out there have a REAL leather boot? that would be real nice.instead of that cheap cloth piece.:)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Hell yeah

vynle said:
how bout changing the boot to. anyone out there have a REAL leather boot? that would be real nice.instead of that cheap cloth piece.:)
Although I have always ready your nick as "vinyl", I agree! A cool natural leather colored shift boot would look great and probably smell good too. I wonder if you couldn't fabricate one from the local leather supply store or hide dealer. I may be speaking out of turn as I live in Podunk, Idaho... actually we are a suburb of Podunk and just inside the geographic middle of nowhere.

We have places where you can drop off your fresh deer skin and either trade for a tanned one ready to go or wait for yours to be tanned and sent back to you. Elk hide would be nice for a boot but I am thinking darker.

Everything in the inside of my car is either black or shiny metal. Not sure I really want a black leather boot for it. Isn't it great to live in a country where *that* is a dilemma?

-David

·
Registered
193 Posts
JetBlack said:
Although I have always ready your nick as "vinyl", I agree! A cool natural leather colored shift boot would look great and probably smell good too. I wonder if you couldn't fabricate one from the local leather supply store or hide dealer.
-David
I hear more of the GT500 interior is leather. I figured i would wait and buy replacement parts and replace my plasic inside with the GT500 leather covered parts. If the parts arnt really just "leather trimmed" that is.

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
very, very cool!! now we need a site that can put leather on the whole inside door panels and door armrests!!! yes :winks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does anyone know for sure what the thread size of the S197 shifter? I am working with a guy to have a special shift knob made.

One post says 12x1.25
The other says 12x1.75

Which is it???????:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
ITS 12x1.25

I TOOK A CUE BALL DRILLED AND TAPPED IT

GOT A 8-BALL AND A #1 BALL (YELLOW) NOW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts