Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. First post here. I've been looking all over and can't find anything of any help really. There have probably been posts on this and I've spoken to a number of friends about it but I wanted to see what other mustang owners have to say.

I own an automatic 2006 Mustang GT I'm currently upside down on my payments (loan amount is now more than the car is worth.)

So I want a manual transmission and I'm trying to see if it is more cost effective to trade in the car for a manual or convert my current one to a manual. I love the one that I have as I am partial to cars I own so I've been leaning towards converting. I'm still on the fence though as i could also put this bonus to getting a super charger... hmmm.

So I guess my questions are...

About how much to have a shop do the whole deal.

Is it worth it? or should I just stick with the automatic and beef the car up in other ways.

What about bighting the bullet and trading in. I'd have a much higher loan amount so this option is really not proffered.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I heard it cost a crap load to switch transmissions. Have you installed an intake with a tune yet? It really helps out our automatics. I got mine from evolution performance and it really does feel like a new car.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I would stick with the auto, it's been discussed here before, you would pay upwards of 4 grand to switch to a manual.
Agree with the previous poster, get a CAI and a tune, will make a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
It is doable but will require significant investment. PCM, clutch, clutch pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, flywheel, transmission, driveshaft, shifter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with all above. if you are already upside down in your payments, youre gonna be even more upside down when you get a different car. what dont you like about the auto??? do you just miss the shifting??? if so you might never be happy with the auto, but with a tune and CAI, your car will feel like a different animal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Thanks for all the replies. I do miss a manual but I don't know if I need it really. I think if I did what so many have recommended (CAI and a tune) then I would probably be happy. I've been thinking about getting a second project car that is manual and something I could beat up at the track. Get my dose that way.

I guess I'm in a stage of deciding how long I want the car; if I make the choice to change a lot on it then I've made the choice to keep it for a long time. Like I said before I love my cars and I just want to make sure that staying with an automatic still gives me the options to bulk up the car in ways I would want to if I keep it for a long time.

I guess at this point I'm looking for satisfied automatic users and honest opinion about mods to automatics as apposed to manuals.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You could take the bucks you would have spent on converting to manual and buy the CAI and tune, then put the rest toward the car loan so you're not so buried.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
think youre right

yeah I'm starting to think thats the way to go. As far as the loan though. If I'm going to keep the car I figured I could just spend the money on it rather than the loan. The only real reason I can see putting that kind of money into the loan was if I did want to trade it in. Otherwise it will be paid in time.

I love my mustang so I'll hold on to her and just make it bad ass. At that point I'll be very attached and the choice of converting or trading will be much easier to make. If I even want to convert at that point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you have problems with your automatic transmission? Mine is automatic and it actually surprised me how well it performed. I miss shifting but I'm getting used to it, and not having a manual in rush hour traffic is much better!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Do you have problems with your automatic transmission? Mine is automatic and it actually surprised me how well it performed. I miss shifting but I'm getting used to it, and not having a manual in rush hour traffic is much better!
And if you get a tune, it will be even better once those line pressures and shift points are adjusted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey man, I have the first automatic in my life and i have had six cars...with the JLT CAI and Tune from evo. perf. my car is a beast. I was going to do the tranny swap too, but after the tune, forget about it, it shifts exactly when i would. you can cause the car to shift by the way you use your foot, and overdrive. I though my auto was boring too, but since im keeping it an auto im doing a roll bar, suspension, gears, true-trac, rims, shorty headers, powerhouse turbo, and in the future cam and heads swap, and a few external mods...a tuner makes it worth the automatic. my brother made so much fun of my auto, i took him out after the tune and got a scared "holy %&$*, your f'n crazy" it was a good night

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hey man, I have the first automatic in my life and i have had six cars...with the JLT CAI and Tune from evo. perf. my car is a beast. I was going to do the tranny swap too, but after the tune, forget about it, it shifts exactly when i would. you can cause the car to shift by the way you use your foot, and overdrive. I though my auto was boring too, but since im keeping it an auto im doing a roll bar, suspension, gears, true-trac, rims, shorty headers, powerhouse turbo, and in the future cam and heads swap, and a few external mods...a tuner makes it worth the automatic. my brother made so much fun of my auto, i took him out after the tune and got a scared "holy %&$*, your f'n crazy" it was a good night
Thats the way to go :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You'll find that a majority of the serious track guys run automatics.
you will also see a majority stick guys wishing they had auto's lol my track times would be so much better with an auto.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
People are always going to have their preferences and likely so. i like my auto because i like to just sit there like a slug sometimes and drive, or i like to play with the radio or my ipod, or i just don't feel like moving my left foot. In some instances i really wish i had bought a stick but that is VERY seldom, i truely do love my automatic even though everyone makes fun of it. But hey, i don't have to worry about parking on hills now do i :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
You'll find that a majority of the serious track guys run automatics.
This is true and made me feel better that I have an automatic. It is also a life-saver in heavy traffic. I have the CAI mod on my to do list and cannot wait to feel the difference it will make.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.