Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Mustang GT (automatic) and had a Novi 2200sl H.O. kit installed. Had problems with the tuner and the car wanted to take off in 3rd or 4th gear. Sent the tuner back to paxton and a week later got it back. Car shifts great now but cuts out under boost. Was told to set the Spark plug gap to .35. How do you set the Gap or do i need to buy new plugs

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
You need to be running a 1 heat range colder plug. Either Autolite HT0, Ford Racing M-12405-3V0, or Brisk Racing 3VR14S

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
+1 you need a colder plug. The gap is probably correct, how much boost are you running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent installed a boost gauge yet but Dyno & performance, The shop that installed the system, said 8 psi. Car went from 217 rwhp to 383 rwhp and 370.7 torque.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The gap is probably fine. However, the new plugs are something you definitely need.

You have enough boost that the stock heat range could give you some trouble.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I havent installed a boost gauge yet but Dyno & performance, The shop that installed the system, said 8 psi. Car went from 217 rwhp to 383 rwhp and 370.7 torque.
217?? That is the lowest I've ever seen from a stock GT.

Thanks I get some and see how it runs. Will I have to retune anything?
Nope... If you get the Autolite or Ford Racing plugs you will need a special tool to gap them. JEGS 80594. The Brisk plugs do not require a special tool since they use a traditional ground strap design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks stlwagon, the shop said 217 was good for stock on 91 octaine. My Dyno print out says they use Dynojet Research.Run

·
Registered
519 Posts
By running a colder plug on stock coils, you should gap it to .035.. Otherwise you might not get enough spark..

For the autolites, if you have a bench vise and a deep socket set you can save the money and use that.. Just tape a screwdriver to one jaw, and put the spark plug in a socket that is just big enough to allow the ceramic to not touch anything but not too big so the metal doesn't sit inside the socket, and put the "bridge" centered on the screwdriver, and turn the vise a little, then measure.. you might have to get a smaller feeler set, I got a mini feeler set and still had to file the sides to get it to fit.. If you go too far, its a pain but you can use a vise grip to grab the bridge and bend it back a little. Once they start to bend it goes too easy, so be careful.. not enough and it springs back and too much and you have to pull it back.

The brisks are way easier to gap, but cost a little more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plug gap tool

I bought new plugs HT0 for my supercharged 06. I didn't want to purchase the plug gapping tool at $35.00. I took my line flaring tool, slide the plug into the jig and tightened down on the bridge over the electrode. It worked great. After the second plug I could easily judge how much pressure I needed to acheive a 35 gap. I thought I would save you guys some money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.