Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the stang out this evening for the first time since switching back from the emissions tune to the street/race tune. On the frist WOT the thing skeert the crap out of me, rolling about 10 mph with a/c and t/c on and floored it. It took a deep breath then shot like it was slung from a catapult. Spun tires into 2nd and into 3rd then I let off the throttle but it just kept on going WOT I hit the brakes but the engine was still WOT. By this time it was well into the triple digits and I was like WTF! I tapped on the gas pedal and it finally let up. I tried it a few times after that with no issues. There was nothing in the way of the gas pedal. What happened? And best of all what do you do in that situation if it doesnt come off WOT? Only thing I could think of was turn off the key but then I would lose steering.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Scary stuff. Throttle is electronic, so it could of been an electrical glitch, you better get it checked out pronto. You could put it into neutral, let the Rev limiter take over. Engines & Transmissions are replaceable, your *ss is not. I believe you will have steering with the key in the on/accessory position, just not power assist.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
probably just a glitch but get it checked out for sure.
Maybe just knock it out of gear ifthat ever happens again.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I learned this in driver's ed before I got my permit.
The following information will make you cringe. But I guess its right :(.

If you lose brakes, are stuck in WOT, or for some reason can't stop and you are going to crash if you don't slow down:
Slam the car into a lower gear. Rev limiter will should help you/you'll blow up your engine, but you'll stop the car.
Hand/parking brake, obviously.
Put the transmission into park. It's gonna suck to be going 60 then doing that, but that should hopefully stop your car.

I'm sure there are other ways, but if I'm heading off a cliff and a transmission is going to save my life... Let the metal fly :)

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I doubt it but the throttle motor could have had a problem.
That is what I was thinking also.

Another thing the next time you do that take the traction off. I'm not saying that caused it but you can never tell. :scratchchin

·
Registered
910 Posts
Floor Mats?

Took the stang out this evening for the first time since switching back from the emissions tune to the street/race tune. On the frist WOT the thing skeert the crap out of me, rolling about 10 mph with a/c and t/c on and floored it. It took a deep breath then shot like it was slung from a catapult. Spun tires into 2nd and into 3rd then I let off the throttle but it just kept on going WOT I hit the brakes but the engine was still WOT. By this time it was well into the triple digits and I was like WTF! I tapped on the gas pedal and it finally let up. I tried it a few times after that with no issues. There was nothing in the way of the gas pedal. What happened? And best of all what do you do in that situation if it doesnt come off WOT? Only thing I could think of was turn off the key but then I would lose steering.
I had a similar problem recently with my 08 GT. Throttle stuck while merging on to the freeway. It corrected itself when I jumped on the brake. It then did it again at less than WOT. Investigating, the floor mat was not secured in its hook. (Car wash workers?) Which allowed it to creep up and interfere with the throttle pedal. Sliding the mat back and making sure it was secured with its hook solved the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Happened to me too. The bottom of the pedal got stuck against the thick rubber floor mat. The pedal sit pretty close to the floor anyway when you push the pedal all the way down. I yanked the mat out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Happened to me too. The bottom of the pedal got stuck against the thick rubber floor mat. The pedal sit pretty close to the floor anyway when you push the pedal all the way down. I yanked the mat out.

Same here. Check the floor mat...

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I learned this in driver's ed before I got my permit.
The following information will make you cringe. But I guess its right :(.

If you lose brakes, are stuck in WOT, or for some reason can't stop and you are going to crash if you don't slow down:
Slam the car into a lower gear. Rev limiter will should help you/you'll blow up your engine, but you'll stop the car.
Hand/parking brake, obviously.
Put the transmission into park. It's gonna suck to be going 60 then doing that, but that should hopefully stop your car.

I'm sure there are other ways, but if I'm heading off a cliff and a transmission is going to save my life... Let the metal fly :)
Ouch!:happyhapp
for a guess I would check to make sre the TB is not gettig locked ope, it could have all sorts of screwed up stuff in there. The while you are at it set up your TPS adjustmet

I have seen a TON of cars get stuck wide open, couple were mine.;) In most cases it was the gas pedal had somethig stuck under it. In most cases a bit of floor mat. I have had all sorts of cable solution but that doesn't apply here.

I agree it's probably somethig ECU related.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will check on the floor mat issue. I just thought there might be some kind of kill switch or something that could be installed incase it happened again.:happyhapp I have no idea what happened, maybe she just smelled a camaro and was headed to put it out of its misery.:happydance: Thanks for the replies.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Executioner, who's tunes are you running?

Oddly enough there have been some cases of this being a problem in the tune. You see it more on F/I cars but it does happen on N/A cars also.

Richard had one he had to work with forever to correct the problem (I think it might have been N/A).

Anyways, it's most likely a mechanical issue. However, since you mentioned in your original post swapping tunes I thought I might bring up the possibility.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i'd like to know whos tunes as well

i had this problem before but was floormat related. i got out my k-bar and cut out a hefty chunk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is the Street/Race tune from Tillman Speed. I was running it for awhile then switched to the emissions tune to pass inspection then switched back. I love the tune. At the dyno day the A/F ratio was dead on and she was putting out better than the other s197's in her catagory. There may be a floor mat issue as I have a set of rubber mats ontop of the factory. I just havent really looked at it yet been more occupied trying to fit my big azz under the car:happyhapp

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.