Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Mustang GT which recently had a throttle body from a GT500 and a cold air intake from C&L installed along with a custom tune from a local performance shop. The car ran great for a day until i had to make a business trip to Salt Lake City and just over half way the car suddenly slows down and the wrench light on the dash comes on and the car does not sound right. I pulled over and restarted the car and it went away but came back about thirty miles later the check engine light came on along with the wrench icon again. I limped my way to Salt Lake to a ford dealership and they told me they cant work on the car until i have my tuner shipped here because of the custom tune it has. If anyone has any idea what is going on i would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had some Tbody problems and codes awhile back...Sounds crazy but I disconnected both the drive motor plug and the TPS plug. Put a little electrical grease on them and never had a problem since. Probably a bit of corrosion that caused a bad connection. GA

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Wrench light is 100% related to the throttle body. Check you connections and TPS voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys for the help! Ive tried checking the voltage but i dont know if im doing it right since the only reading i get is 3.78 which i know is way off from looking at the forums and i dont know how to rotate the tps sensor and change the voltage. Im going to try and get some electrical grease later today.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Thanks you guys for the help! Ive tried checking the voltage but i dont know if im doing it right since the only reading i get is 3.78 which i know is way off from looking at the forums and i dont know how to rotate the tps sensor and change the voltage. Im going to try and get some electrical grease later today.
3.78 would be bad... You should be probing the bottom (yellow) wire on the TPS. You really have to push pretty hard into the rear of the harness to get a reading. Should be around 1.24 volts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update, i tried the electrical grease and the check engine light still was on even though i disconnected the negative battery terminal before starting the car to try and reset it

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Quick update, i tried the electrical grease and the check engine light still was on even though i disconnected the negative battery terminal before starting the car to try and reset it
Disconnect the battery for a half-hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
disconnected the battery for a few minutes a few days ago and nothing changed but when i went to start it b4 i drove home from work today no engine lights came on. it ran fine for the half hour run home. im gonna watch it the next couple days and see how it runs.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
disconnected the battery for a few minutes a few days ago and nothing changed but when i went to start it b4 i drove home from work today no engine lights came on. it ran fine for the half hour run home. im gonna watch it the next couple days and see how it runs.
Post back here if it happens again and we'll see if we can figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Throttle body problems

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Sorry you were having so many problems with the TB. Did you resolve the problem? Was it a voltage issue? I'm looking into getting a TB but have read that the electrical system can make it difficult. Thanks

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Sorry you were having so many problems with the TB. Did you resolve the problem? Was it a voltage issue? I'm looking into getting a TB but have read that the electrical system can make it difficult. Thanks
The OP has not posted since 8/2009. We may never know if he fixed the TB problem.

Welcome to the Forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.