Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'll start with the back story. It's a 2006 GT with the 5r55s Auto. Iv'e got an American Muscle/Bama tune installed. My plan was to go to the strip on Sunday. Never have had any probles or indications of a problem in the 2 years that I've owned it. The car drove fine on Friday when I was doing a couple of errands, then later that evening, I brought the car down to my shop so I could put my DR's on and pull some weight out of the car on Saturday. The car seemed to drive fine down to the shop, untill I was backing up into the shop. It felt kind of like it was slipping as I was backing up, and It was slow engaging into reverse, if I gave it just a touch of throttle it would engage right away and go backwards. Seemed to engage into drive just fine. So I parked it in the shop and the next morning, I put my tires on and changed over to my 91 race tune, and pulled some weight out of the car. Started the car up and let it warm up, and figured I would see if it was acting funny in reverse again. Put it in reverse...got nothing, tried drive....got nothing again, tried moving back and forth between gears and you can't hear anything engage. The RPM's jump slightly when you put into drive or reverse. If you put it into park from a gear, you can kind of hear it dissengage. Tried to install one of my other tunes just hoping that I had a corrupt file...but it didn't change anything. Tried unhooking the battery for a little while, but same result. Haven't ever seen any leaks and it's spotless underneath so I'm not loosing any fluid. I'm also not getting any DTC's from my SCT X3, so I'm at a loss from here. I'm guessing it's the front pump, and if thats the case I'm probably looking at a new tranny. So my next question is, are the TCI street fighters seeming to hold up alright, or are the level 10's better, or do I go with a referb unit and trade it off for a manual. I'm not going to be able to do a 4r70w conversion so thats off my list. I've got a few VERY good tranny shops that I'm going to call on Monday and talk to and see what they think might be going on, but I'm sure without a good scan tool, it will be a pretty mute point. Just looking for some advice from ones that have had this experience happen to them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a similar issue recently in first gear. I would try to take off and the engine would rev and finally lurch into gear. I had a trans service including but not limited to transmission flush,new filter/gasket and torque converter drained and refilled. That fixed my issue and so far so good. I'd start there. Also I had just a regular trans service done 10,000 miles before this but I did not flush entire system. My fluid smelled normal and color was normal as well so I was really worried at first. Good luck,I'm sure you will find a solution.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine did that last fall. If you put it in drive and rev it up to 4000rpm or so, does it slam into gear? Turns out my battery was on its last legs. Even though I had the battery tested and it tested fine, I replaced it. Tranny worked fine after that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread but thought I continue it with my problem transmission.
Mine goes into reverse and will move the car about an inch and then the rpms go up without moving the car, basically it's slipping. When I put the car in drive it engages but wont move. If I shift it into first it will go fine and then I'll need to shift to second by dropping the rpms to 1000 or so and it will engage into the next gear.
Could this be a shift solenoid, if so where is the solenoid located? Anyone else had this problem and what fixed it?
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.