Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out of school at 9:45am this morning, so i figured nows a great time to drive out to Ford and get my RCM reflashed for my recall on my stang. While they were doing that, i had them check to see what was wrong with my car because since day one it leaked little drips of oil in my garage where i park. I've taken it there with my father and had them try to locate the problem. They stated there was no engine oil leak. So a few months after that, i still noticed oil in my garage. They finally located the problem today.. My transmission is leaking itty bitty drops of fluid.. they are covering it under warranty :) but it sucks i wont have the stang 2-4days.. So i have to drive back tomorrow to drop it off because they cant rent a 19yr old a pos focus.. :(

I know its been leaking since day one, i always thought it was the engine.. but can the tune be what has caused the problem to surface more due to harder shift points?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Got out of school at 9:45am this morning, so i figured nows a great time to drive out to Ford and get my RCM reflashed for my recall on my stang. While they were doing that, i had them check to see what was wrong with my car because since day one it leaked little drips of oil in my garage where i park. I've taken it there with my father and had them try to locate the problem. They stated there was no engine oil leak. So a few months after that, i still noticed oil in my garage. They finally located the problem today.. My transmission is leaking itty bitty drops of fluid.. they are covering it under warranty :) but it sucks i wont have the stang 2-4days.. So i have to drive back tomorrow to drop it off because they cant rent a 19yr old a pos focus.. :(

I know its been leaking since day one, i always thought it was the engine.. but can the tune be what has caused the problem to surface more due to harder shift points?
Yes, your increased line pressures could have caused some overflow. I doubt very much that it's actually a leak.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Well at least it is covered under your warranty and nothing comes out of your pocket. Just sucks you won't have a car for a few days.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, time will tell.. ill see what they say when they pull the tranny out..

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Yeah, time will tell.. ill see what they say when they pull the tranny out..
They've already said they are pulling the transmission? Recommend you flash back to stock and pull the CAI. Don't need to give them a reason to dishonor your warranty.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
They've already said they are pulling the transmission? Recommend you flash back to stock and pull the CAI. Don't need to give them a reason to dishonor your warranty.
+1... That's the same thing I was thinking.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need, they already popped the hood and figured out it was tuned by Evo(says it on the intake tube)... they dont care because we've complained about this since day one.. just didnt know it was the tranny..

and yes, they said they are pulling the trans..

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
No need, they already popped the hood and figured out it was tuned by Evo(says it on the intake tube)... they dont care because we've complained about this since day one.. just didnt know it was the tranny..

and yes, they said they are pulling the trans..[/quo
That's good... They already know about your mods, and are cool with it. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They could have put too much fluid in it at the factory...it happens.
A friend here at work took her Explorer in for work with part of the service being to change the tranny fluid...she has a lot of miles on it. She started having problems with it a few months later (including leakage). I checked the trans fluid for her (at least on her trans they have a dipstick) and the fluid level was WAY, WAY up there...and yes I was checking using the proper procedure. I kept checking it over and over since I didn't believe my eyes...I even asked her to look at it since I couldn't believe it. So it looked like they added new tranny fluid on top of the old!!! So I could see a mistake happen at the factory like that too.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

and yes, they said they are pulling the trans..[/quo
That's good... They already know about your mods, and are cool with it. Let us know how it turns out.
Yup, i am cool with the guy and i show um what ive done, he has a GT converter into a roush stage 2..

They could have put too much fluid in it at the factory...it happens.
A friend here at work took her Explorer in for work with part of the service being to change the tranny fluid...she has a lot of miles on it. She started having problems with it a few months later (including leakage). I checked the trans fluid for her (at least on her trans they have a dipstick) and the fluid level was WAY, WAY up there...and yes I was checking using the proper procedure. I kept checking it over and over since I didn't believe my eyes...I even asked her to look at it since I couldn't believe it. So it looked like they added new tranny fluid on top of the old!!! So I could see a mistake happen at the factory like that too.
Very true, time will tell.. hopefully its just overflow..

·
Registered
520 Posts
The %r%%s has a vent tube that dumps right on top of the converter.
If you drive these cars hard they all spit a little fluid.
You can replace with a breather overflow if you want to stop dripping.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i do drive it pretty hard just not everday..

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
The %r%%s has a vent tube that dumps right on top of the converter.
If you drive these cars hard they all spit a little fluid.
You can replace with a breather overflow if you want to stop dripping.
I had a similar problem with my axle. Had to extend the vent like they do on 4x4's.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped it off, and he said the tranny will be pulled first thing in the morning.. but the guy at Hertz thought he'd be funny after he saw my car and said ive got the perfect car rental for you guys.. its an 08 Ford Taurus.. he gave it to my dad due to similar color.. and said i figured we'd keep it baby blue... :shigrin jerk..anyhow, this is the tank im driving for the next few days, hopefully just 2 days..

Oh i forgot to mention... i DO NOT miss driving my old truck or his truck.. this things slow and cant take any turns.. lol.. oh and the stereo just sucks... haha.. dad however gets to drive this new family sedan which honestly isnt bad.. as you can tell they killed off the Ford 500 and the Taurus has the same body now.. but its leather, climate control, power moonroof.. side airbags, 6cd indash w/ upgraded speakers.. its a really nice car surprisingly..

thought id let you guys know.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Ford just called, it turns out he thought they'd have my car done by noon today but there was apparently 2 cars that were infront of me in line.. :(..

They located the problem, which was the Vent Tube ontop of the tranny went bad and was leaking, they said most likely i will have it by tomorrow, but if not definately by monday.. Lets hope for tomorrow.. im sick of driving this f150..

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Update

Ford just called, it turns out he thought they'd have my car done by noon today but there was apparently 2 cars that were infront of me in line.. :(..

They located the problem, which was the Vent Tube ontop of the tranny went bad and was leaking, they said most likely i will have it by tomorrow, but if not definately by monday.. Lets hope for tomorrow.. im sick of driving this f150..
Well, that's good. I figured it was coming out the vent. I don't know how the vent tube could fail. Be curious to hear the final report.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's good. I figured it was coming out the vent. I don't know how the vent tube could fail. Be curious to hear the final report.
Yeah i will report back with the outcome tomorrow after i get off work.. As for the vent tube failing, it came from the factory bad apparently because we've had the little leak every since day 1.. and the car was brand new.. when i got home, it had 289miles on it.. anyhow, i hope its done tomorrow.. im going insane.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Yeah i will report back with the outcome tomorrow after i get off work.. As for the vent tube failing, it came from the factory bad apparently because we've had the little leak every since day 1.. and the car was brand new.. when i got home, it had 289miles on it.. anyhow, i hope its done tomorrow.. im going insane.:laugh:
You'll be ok... Take deep breaths! :gringreen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.