Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided to go back to stock (3.31) gears.

with the stock gears, the diff whines while deceleration!

what could that be?

·
Registered
910 Posts
i have decided to go back to stock (3.31) gears.

with the stock gears, the diff whines while deceleration!

what could that be?
Might I ask, what was the reason for changing back to the 3.31s?

Most likely there is a miss alignment in the ring & pinion. Not enough care given with the spacers comes to mind off the top of my head.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might I ask, what was the reason for changing back to the 3.31s?
4.10 was a little too much for a cruiser.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are u sure its 3.31 ,I have an 06 & its 3.55,check the codes on the driver door, & via the tuner change the gear ratio.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
backlash is the amount of clearance between the gear teeth. In other words it is the difference between the tooth space and the tooth thickness.
how to adjust that?
is there any source i can read in this regard?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Deceleration whine is normally pinion bearing preload or worn bearings but since it's a fresh install its probally not worn bearings. If they are the OEM gears than the shop didn't properly load the pinion bearings and you need to take it back and have it done properly. Some aftermarket gears will be louder due to the machining process and the gear geometry related to HD gearsets. OEM gears are machined for smooth quite ride without sacrificing to much strength.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Deceleration whine is normally pinion bearing preload or worn bearings but since it's a fresh install its probally not worn bearings. If they are the OEM gears than the shop didn't properly load the pinion bearings and you need to take it back and have it done properly. Some aftermarket gears will be louder due to the machining process and the gear geometry related to HD gearsets. OEM gears are machined for smooth quite ride without sacrificing to much strength.
...and it needs to be done very soon before an unrecoverable wear pattern is established.

·
Registered
338 Posts
its an automatic,.. Has to be 3.31.

Are u sure its 3.31 ,I have an 06 & its 3.55,check the codes on the driver door, & via the tuner change the gear ratio.

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
how to adjust that?
is there any source i can read in this regard?
You don’t need to know anything aside from the phone number of the shop that installed the gear. Give them a call, they get to do it again free of charge.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You don’t need to know anything aside from the phone number of the shop that installed the gear. Give them a call, they get to do it again free of charge.
That's one part of the car that I will not touch! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was wondering if the gas mileage was poor with the 4.10s.
gas mileage was OK. delete plates have a worse effect.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am just trying to help him out :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've done alot of gear swaps in the past and if you don't get the setup just right you'll ruin the gears, as others have said it's one of the hardest mods to do. take it back to the shop and ask them to do it again. On a side note if you need to do research for them than it's the wrong shop!!!

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
That's one part of the car that I will not touch! :)
Ditto that. I can do the work but it is so easy to end up with a loud gear because of the smalest mistake its well worth the money to give the liability to someone else.:bigthumbsup

The guy who did mine went through 4 ring and pinions before he got it right.........and he is well known for being the gear "go to guy". If I had to do it 4 times myself I would have lost my mind.:happyhapp

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.